Any idea what this is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
So I've wondered what the part in the image below is since I bought this suburban (95 k2500 with 7.4L and 4L80) in October. As far as I have chased the wires so far is into the black box in the second photo. The one part is mounted next to the trailer brake controller under the dash and the box is shoved in the wire harness. The dash mounted part appears to have a chip in it although I've no idea how to remove it.

Any ideas what they may be?

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't see any model numbers but haven't done much searching yet. Bigger fish to fry but thought I'd throw this out for any ideas or quick answers.

As for where it connects after the box, i haven't pulled it down from the wire tie. Yet....

Don't think I'm on any watch list that the rest of us don't occupy. Big brother is always watching and listening. :hidesbehindsofa:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Almost sure it's an old school immobilizer. Seems I recall the "chip" (small piece of circuit board) should have a part that sticks out (possibly yours is broken) that allows you to pull the board out so the truck won't start.

A little careful dissection of the zip ties and following the wiring should tell the story.

Richard

Osteoblast

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried pushing the chip?

I had an unknown box and it looked aftermarket. Turned out to be some tuning equipment. Gain 20hp and of course use less gas...

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Almost sure it's an old school immobilizer. Seems I recall the "chip" (small piece of circuit board) should have a part that sticks out (possibly yours is broken) that allows you to pull the board out so the truck won't start.

A little careful dissection of the zip ties and following the wiring should tell the story.

Richard
Interesting. I'll take a look when i get a chance and see where it goes. In all reality, I'd like to eliminate it if its not necessary to maintain it.

Have you tried pushing the chip?
Have not pushed it or really messed with it at all. Kind of low on my priorities list since I drive a company vehicle daily. I'd expect some kind of name on it if a tuner of sorts. I also have no experience with tuners so......

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Almost sure it's an old school immobilizer.
Had some time to look into this a bit this afternoon. Turns out the chip does pull out, or should if the tab was still there, killing power to the starter.

No branding on it at all that I could find. Guess I'll leave it all connected and tie it back up out of the way under the dash until gives me issues.

Thanks again for the suggestions. On to pulling the rear bumper next.