Any advantage to vortec heads on a TBI 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CH350G they look like a good cylinder head. I have em bookmarked. EQ makes a good mopar magnum V8 head as well. I am familiar with their quality.Thanks

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I went to set my TBI intake on top my my Vortec-headed 350 this morning. It doesn't fit. I've heard people say you can mod them to fit, but it's not even close. Getting my stepside back on the road is going to take a little longer and $200 more. On the plus side, I'll be closer to bolting a FiTech or Sniper on.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF you put Vortec heads on a TBI short-block, be sure to drill the head(s) for the coolant bypass hole. I'd drill both heads so you don't have to remember which one has to be on the right-side cylinder bank.

Use the TBI head gasket as a template for the hole.

"I" would not use Vortec heads. Too much fabricating to keep the EGR, and then there's the hugely-expensive intake manifold, or even more fabricating to use a carb'd intake and adapter plate for the throttle body.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why is this thread back from the dead?

You don't need to drill the bypass hole if you use the Vortec water pump and bypass setup, but that results in a funky mismatch of TBI and Vortec accessories.

The intake stuff isn't expensive depending on how well you shop or what you have on hand. You can get an intake and adapters new for under $200, but Vortec heads are only a good deal if you already have them or can get a pair of uncracked heads for under$150. I don't plan on buying another pair.