Any advantage to vortec heads on a TBI 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 TBI engine has 160K and has the dreaded oil puff on startup, and uses about 1 quart every 3k. Theres bunches of Vortec 350s hitting my local boneyard. I was considering pulling a set of those, and having my machine shop going thru them. The usual valve job, and have em cut for umbrella seals, i would clean up the bowl and runner areas, and bolting those on. What kind of gains could I see in these over the TBI heads? Or would I be better off just redoing my original TBI heads? I am planning on shorty headers, an edelbrock TBI intake and some port matching.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 quart every 3k miles. That's child play. Try 1 quart every 150 miles. Might as well be a 2 stroke engine.

But yes. Vortec heads are better. But be prepared for intake and possibly ECM mods.

And the short block is different too. Needs a by pass hole drilled and two timing cover bolt holes drills

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1 quart every 3k miles. That's child play. Try 1 quart every 150 miles. Might as well be a 2 stroke engine.

But yes. Vortec heads are better. But be prepared for intake and possibly ECM mods.

And the short block is different too. Needs a by pass hole drilled and two timing cover bolt holes drills

The 5 Vortec blocks I have had, 1 305 and 4 350s have had all the timing cover holes drilled and the bypass drilled. The Vortec heads block the water bypass even if you put them on a TBI engine block.

eshaw

Reaction score
Aren't the Vortec heads supposed to be more prone to cracking also?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are 87-95 engine quest heads that are supposed to flow like Vortecs are not crack prone, no need for an expensive intake or egr mod. A member here even had a set for sale I believe.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are 87-95 engine quest heads that are supposed to flow like Vortecs are not crack prone, no need for an expensive intake or egr mod. A member here even had a set for sale I believe.

The EQ heads work well, however if you get them new, order them bare and supply your own valves etc.
Mind you the tbi motor I put together had other things done, but with those EQ heads it pulled 311hp and 385ft-lbs on the dyno.