Another Retrospective: The History of 1badgmc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, for the first time in a LOOOONG time I can report some progress on the truck today. I came upon a really good deal on an Alpine 9857 head unit last week. I took out the Alpine cassette head unit that's been in the truck since 1996 and put it in the '94. I took the Alpine 9886 out of the '94 and will be putting it in the Suburban and I put the 9857 in this truck. While I was at it I also put some 5000K HIDgates in the truck.

makindue

Reaction score
Hi Bigg G. I think I don't agree that the older it looks the better. In some ways yes its true. But if that car becomes vintage the value of it will reduce. :D Well, it is just my opinion. :D

JohnC

Reaction score
Awesome retrospective man. That's cool how the truck has transformed over the years, and how it has evolved from a sharp looking stepper, to one sweet looking stepper. Congrats on the progress, and you said you had a list of things you still want to do. What are some of them?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome retrospective man. That's cool how the truck has transformed over the years, and how it has evolved from a sharp looking stepper, to one sweet looking stepper. Congrats on the progress,...

Thanks.

...and you said you had a list of things you still want to do. What are some of them?

The big things are interior and drivetrain.

I had worked up some drawings for a custom dash/center console, but when I bought my house, it came with a '60 Impala in the shop out back. The car isn't much more than a body and nothing I want to invest any time or money in, but I want to pull the dash out of it and put it in the truck. I would still want some sort of custom console that flows from dash to rear wall, it's just really hard to come up with something cool to work in the 5-speed shifter.

I have a '96 Vette LT1 longblock and some other miscellaneous parts for it. I'd like to build it up for the truck and get a 6-speed to go behind it someday.

But those are all just dreams that likely won't happen anytime soon.

JohnC

Reaction score
Thanks.

The big things are interior and drivetrain.

I had worked up some drawings for a custom dash/center console, but when I bought my house, it came with a '60 Impala in the shop out back. The car isn't much more than a body and nothing I want to invest any time or money in, but I want to pull the dash out of it and put it in the truck. I would still want some sort of custom console that flows from dash to rear wall, it's just really hard to come up with something cool to work in the 5-speed shifter.

I have a '96 Vette LT1 longblock and some other miscellaneous parts for it. I'd like to build it up for the truck and get a 6-speed to go behind it someday.

But those are all just dreams that likely won't happen anytime soon.

Now that's the kind of house I should have bought. A house that comes with it's own project car. Haha

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:lol: Yeah, well, it's really in my way. I need to pull out the dash and anything else I want from the car and then drag it out of the shop and try to get it sold. I have enough project vehicles around to keep me busy for decades if I ever get the time and money to mess with them.

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sell the LT1, and install an LSx based drivetrain. Its the only way to go. Much better all around performance, from starting, to acceleration, to fuel mileage, lighter weight, to mods that can make boo-koo horsepower with little effort. And nowadays, add that they are much more affordable. I went with an all aluminum version, way back in 2003, when the stuff was much more expensive & nobody knew anything about this conversion. Would definately do it again. They perform that well.