Another Retrospective: The History of 1badgmc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll follow BHB's lead again and post this here too. I did this over on FSC, but I'll put it here too for those that don't go over there.

This is the history of my '91 from the beginning.

I graduated HS in '95 and went off to college...with no ride. My HS car, '72 Plymouth Duster 340, wasn't really up for the trip. I suffered for nearly 9 months without a vehicle. I wanted a truck. I wasn't super-picky on my requirements. It had to be a '90+ (composite lights), V8, a/c with power windows and locks. Longbed, shortbed, whatever...I just wanted a truck.

I was at home for the weekend and was out on a Friday night hanging out with friends. When I got home that night, my dad told me we were going to the dealership my uncle worked at the next day to look at a truck. Ok. Fine by me. We pulled up and there it was. I drove it. Loved it. Took it home that day. That was May 4th, 1996.

I did my first mod that day. Headlight covers! These pics were taken that day.

You must be registered for see images attach

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked if I was going to lower it and put a rollpan on it and all that stuff. I went off on him. I'd never do that crap! That's stupid! If I only knew...

By the winter of '97, I had done a few other small things. I had a color matched bug shield, ventshades and slotted taillight covers along with a soft tonneau and my first limo tint job. I also had some 15x10 Ultra wheels and 295/50 tires.

For some reason I don't have many pictures of this stage of the truck's life. I know I took quite a few, but I can't find them.

March of 1997. My buddy shot this from his Porsche 944 as we were on the causeway to South Padre Island for Spring Break.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the early spring of 1998, I bought my first drop for the truck. I bought some 2" Eibach coils and 4" BellTech leafs. I also bought my first rollpan and billet grille and installed it all around the same time.

In June of 1998 the truck made its first visit to the bodyshop. I had the steps and tailgate handle shaved, installed some sport mirrors, updated to a '94-'98 GMC grille with a 30-bar insert and smoothie front bumper with billet insert and had the entire truck repainted. It was done in the factory medium blue metallic with red, green and blue pearls mixed in the clear.

In August of 1998, I bought my first BIG wheels. 17" Weld Tomahawks. 17x8 fronts and 17x9.5 rears with 245/45 and 305/45 tires. Shortly after that I added a set of 3" DJM control arms up front and a pair of shackles out back for a 5/6 drop. With my staggered tire sizes, it didn't sit level, so I went back and added a pair of hangers for a total 5/8 drop.

This is how it looked in the fall of 1998.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going into 1999 is when I really started doing shows. I joined Pleasures Trucks & Compacts from Oklahoma City.

These shots are from July of 1999. They were taken just outside our hotel in Austin when we went to Texas Heatwave.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One week after Heatwave, I was sitting at a red light when a guy decided to play with his radio instead of watching the road. I just happened to be in the way.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had already been wanting a complete color change and that accident was the catalyst. I told my bodyman the color and he looked at me like I was insane. In the process, I shaved the taillights and installed the Precision Rodware LED taillights.

This was one of the last pictures taken of my truck with the stock front sheetmetal. This was at Dust Off in April 2001.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In June of 2001 this happened.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, in August of 2001, it rolled out of the shop like this:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was ready for more and the wife gave me the green light to bag it. So I did. By October 2001, it was done.