Another one! K2500 Suburban build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Added another Suburban to my driveway this evening. Was browsing the Facebook marketplace and came across this 96 2500 Suburban for just 1k. Came and picked it up just a few hours ago.

She's pretty dirty, been sitting for awhile. Motor has 181k , and does run, however the PO said the tranny got fried when the radiator sprung a leak. The replacement radiator was put in (with tall filler neck). Gonna put in the correct one so i can get the hood to fully shut. I will have tranny replaced and she should be good to go! Everything else that needs work is purely cosmetic and interior wise, which is easy.

Truck has about a 2" lift, sitting on 33s.

Here it is just before it was loaded onto a trailer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Home at my shop

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Facebook Marketplace is like crack, lol.

Is it a 454?

So what happened to the transmission again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Facebook Marketplace is like crack, lol.

Is it a 454?

So what happened to the transmission again?

Yea its a 454. I was told original radiator sprung a leak, and it caused trans to overheat and blow. I'm assuming nothing was flowing through the tranny cooler line. I'll try to move the truck tomorrow to see if it moves at all but I highly doubt it.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That rig has some serious potential! I like the wheels, and the brush guard. Nice find!

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That rig has some serious potential! I like the wheels, and the brush guard. Nice find!

For sure, I lost sleep looking at mods and upgrades on the computer, haha! The wheels are American Racing which were plasti dipped. I'm gonna see if i can save them and if the finish underneath is any good, i'll keep them. A nice set of PYOs wouldnt look bad either.
I love the brush guard however it is rotted out on the bottom :( I'm going to see if i can track down another one

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For sure, I lost sleep looking at mods and upgrades on the computer, haha! The wheels are American Racing which were plasti dipped. I'm gonna see if i can save them and if the finish underneath is any good, i'll keep them. A nice set of PYOs wouldnt look bad either.
I love the brush guard however it is rotted out on the bottom :( I'm going to see if i can track down another one
I looked for one like that for a few years with no luck. The grill guard minus the brush guards is the best I could find. It'll do until I can find something bigger like you have. I would like something with a winch mount, but everything I have found for the 400 sticks out way too far, I don't like that look at all.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d second the PY0 rims, those look good.

The grill guard looks like a Manik, but I’m not sure that they make them anymore. TrailFX makes one that is similar but not as rounded on the vertical bars.

Last edited:

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d second the PY0 rims, those look good.

The grill guard looks like a Manik, but I’m not sure that they make them anymore. TrailFX makes one that is similar but not as rounded on the vertical bars.

I had one like I have now on my old 97 but i was an idiot and scrapped it when it got bent. There may be a possibility i can have the rot fixed if i can get it done cheap enough but that's a ton of work. I'll put it aside till I figure out what to do with it.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Washed all the mud off, pulled the brushguard off and side steps this morning before work. Looks so much cleaner without the steps.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The interior on the other hand has seen better days. I'm gonna see if i can clean the seats. They are in good shape except for the drivers side. The carpet is too far gone to be saved so i will take it out and buy a new one