Another issue with the dually, now the rear end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lumpdog602

Reaction score
This is the mack daddy magilla full float 10.5" ring gear 14 bolt in this one ton, correct? Doesn't an uncunted grenade80 differential throw S springs and counterweights everywhere?

If you're going full teardown mode, might as well convert to disc brakes.

That is a beautiful rig.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure. Go get the appropriate open carrier for your housing..

Richard

No backlash measurements either and all that, right? Just unbolt the caps, remove unit and unzip/reinstall carrier? Seems easy enough. Maybe OP can find another G80 (if he desires). I'm guessing 4.10 gears (GT5 RPO code, IIRC.)

Check your RPO code again for gears...

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
It might have had one of those new expensive aftermarket gear-style lockers in it that doesnt clunk when turning. if it did, find out the vendor and have them rebuild it for you.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Looks like an open to me. On the open you can't see the guts. What really scared me is the c clip. That axle doesn't use c clips. I would pull the axles and hubs to check for shrapnel. Rod out the axle tubes and put 5 cans of brake cleaner through them. Give the wheel bearings a thorough inspection. If you don't get any more fragments put it back together and fill it up.
If you want a different diff in there check the gear pattern and the backlash BEFORE you remove the old one. When the new one goes in make the pattern and backlash EXACTLY the same as it was before or the ring and pinion will buy the farm in short order. If you want new gears now is the time. I am paranoid so I would change the gear lube out after a few hundred miles and double check everything.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Looks like an open to me. On the open you can't see the guts. What really scared me is the c clip. That axle doesn't use c clips. I would pull the axles and hubs to check for shrapnel. Rod out the axle tubes and put 5 cans of brake cleaner through them. Give the wheel bearings a thorough inspection. If you don't get any more fragments put it back together and fill it up.
If you want a different diff in there check the gear pattern and the backlash BEFORE you remove the old one. When the new one goes in make the pattern and backlash EXACTLY the same as it was before or the ring and pinion will buy the farm in short order. If you want new gears now is the time. I am paranoid so I would change the gear lube out after a few hundred miles and double check everything.
2x on cleaning everything. When the truck 12 bolt in our 84 Burb fried the axle bearings ( due to us having more weight in the back than we realized and the truck being old), once we got it home and up on jack stands, I got under it and opened up the case. Pulled the cover, the bolt that holds the pin and C clips in, and then we pulled the axles.
That's why I recognized those bits as roller bearings and part of the cage; that's what those bearings looked like.
Anyway, after the nasty glittery oil was drained, we made a bore brush for the axle tubes from a 1x2 and a red shop rag. Ran it down the tube till I could see it in the center section, then pulled it out, spinning it around both times. Did this several times in both sides. Used a bunch of spray brake cleaner too. Maybe a little overkill, but we got it back together and we never had any more trouble with the rear end in that Burb ( for like 6 or 7 years more that we drove it).
The worst part of it was having to grind parts of the outer races on those exploded bearings, when they wouldn't come out with the slap hammer puller.

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the mack daddy magilla full float 10.5" ring gear 14 bolt in this one ton, correct? Doesn't an uncunted grenade80 differential throw S springs and counterweights everywhere?

That is a beautiful rig.

That is a beautiful rig.
I do want to do the disc brake conversion, just don't have the time right now, have a trip outta state soon.

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No backlash measurements either and all that, right? Just unbolt the caps, remove unit and unzip/reinstall carrier? Seems easy enough. Maybe OP can find another G80 (if he desires). I'm guessing 4.10 gears (GT5 RPO code, IIRC.)

Check your RPO code again for gears...
That's what I'm gonna do today hopefully, pull axles and tear out center section, and go from there. Yes 4.10 gears

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you may have misunderstood me. There are Gov-Loc carriers, and there are open carriers. You want to run without the Gov-Loc? You replace it with an open carrier.

Richard
I meant to say I think there is 3 different 14 bolt ring gear sizes and that the bigger of them can not be swapped out.