Another dead igntion module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 94 4.3l TBI does not have the coil in the cap if thats what we're talking about.
FWIU, there's the large cap HEI which had the coil on top (like on the square body trucks) and the small cap HEI system with the coil mounted just in front of the dizzy for the OBS trucks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's got an HEI module, it's a fookin' HEI (or an aftermarket knockoff.)

Yes, there's numerous versions of HEI, which is a GM trademark. Some have the coil in the cap...some don't. Some have computer control, some don't.

There's 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8-pin modules. I've never held a 3-pin module in my hand. Seen a photo, though.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I have the small cap version. (coil not on the cap) Went to Advance Auto last night to exchange the module for a new one. None in the store and only one in the system. May be here by Tuesday. In the mean time no spare :eek: haha

I plan on a trip to the local "treasure yard" or two to see if I can scrounge a "new" coil.

Ken

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That makes sense but, FWIU all TBIs are small cap HEIs?
Yes, TBI has the small diameter cap with straight up exposed terminals. Vortec uses the flat style cap with the terminal towers that go out to the sides. Early style HEI like square body carburetor trucks have the big cap with the coil in the top of it. Those eat coils and modules if you let the rotor go bad. Sold a bunch of them back in my parts store days..... Blue Streak is the way to go on those, they last much longer.
And use the thermal paste!

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Yes, TBI has the small diameter cap with straight up exposed terminals. Vortec uses the flat style cap with the terminal towers that go out to the sides. Early style HEI like square body carburetor trucks have the big cap with the coil in the top of it. Those eat coils and modules if you let the rotor go bad. Sold a bunch of them back in my parts store days..... Blue Streak is the way to go on those, they last much longer.
And use the thermal paste!

HMMMM.... The cap had a bunch of "dust" that looked like carbon from the center electrode. Cleaned it out with brake cleaner. Might be prudent to buy a new cap and rotor. These were put on by the PO. He had to have a red cap to match the valve covers. Good tip. Thanks!! Yes even thought it's not HEI (first gen??) still might be a good idea beings I'm having an issue.

Ken

victor II

Reaction score
In my ‘88 Silverado I found using a cheap cap and rotor lasted about six months. The system ate aluminum contacts in the cap. I went to brass from Napa and the contacts last forever. And no dust from the breakdown of the cheap stuff.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's got an HEI module, it's a fookin' HEI (or an aftermarket knockoff.)

Yes, there's numerous versions of HEI, which is a GM trademark. Some have the coil in the cap...some don't. Some have computer control, some don't.

There's 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8-pin modules. I've never held a 3-pin module in my hand. Seen a photo, though.
Oh thanks for clarifying. I've always just referred to the coil in cap versions as HEI.