Another dead igntion module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my ‘88 Silverado I found using a cheap cap and rotor lasted about six months. The system ate aluminum contacts in the cap. I went to brass from Napa and the contacts last forever. And no dust from the breakdown of the cheap stuff.
Yeah I swapped to brass. Been working great. I have the blue united motor HD cap and rotor set.

BTW i got their plug wires in a set with the cap and JFC those things are ****. They all fell apart.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah I swapped to brass. Been working great. I have the blue united motor HD cap and rotor set.

BTW i got their plug wires in a set with the cap and JFC those things are ****. They all fell apart.
Yes I love the blue rotor with brass contacts. Lasted two years in my daily driven Vortec 5.7 burb. The cheap white rotor would last about six months. I put the UMC blue vented cap on in April and it's worth the money.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I knew I had some but couldn't find it. I have some thermal paste meant to bed electronic components in high heat applications. It's white in color and quite thick. Its probably 30 years old and I remember to be a little creamier. Still it applied and spread well. Slathered the ICM with it. Should be better than the stuff that came with the ICM.

I was also thinking you could make your own by mixing some aluminium power with some oil or grease. IF you had some aluminium powder that is.... Aluminum power is widely used in the making of fiberglass molds to help dissipate heat during the mold making process.

kenh

Reaction score
I fried another ICM a couple days ago but it was a suspect ICM that tested good in the store but let me down once.

So, I went to the local bone yard today and grabbed a coil and also snagged a genuine GM ICM. Also found some minor items. Thought about grabbing a distributor also as the trigger wires on mine look a bit crusty. All the bone yard dizzys had pretty crusty looking internals so let them be. But the wires looked pristine. My internal dizzy parts are a bit crusty but not to bad. The decision was easy as I didn't have my dizzy wrench with me!

Ken

Oh, got out of there for $11

Last edited:

kenh

Reaction score
Went back to the bone yard yesterday for some stuff I forgot. Missed a 1990 warning there and low and behold it had a pristine dizzy. A little corrosion on the base plate but the rest of the internals looked like new. It came with a genuine GM module. $17 out the door. I pulled the shaft out today and it looks good. The gear had very little wear. Just a small spot on the teeth that was shined up.

A good day all in all.

Ken