Android vs iphone OBD2 bluetooth/wifi apps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an iphone and use the bafx Wifi adapter with OBD Fusion app.

I do not believe this app has any tailored GM specific PIDs, and couldnt find any other apps on the iphone app marketplace that did either.

Are the android (google marketplace) and bluetooth elm327 apps better then what is offered on the iphone?

For example, I cant find any on my iphone that will read timing data.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC Dashcommand should be available on iPhone and Android. I believe it has add-on packs with some of the more important GM specific PIDs.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Torque Pro(I have it for Android) has all the GM add packs and there is thread on this site for setting it up to read CMP to set the distributor on Vortec powered rigs.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you can't find a suitable app for ios and you pick up an android device to use Torque Pro or whatever your choice is - stick with BAFX for the reader; avoid those super cheap generic elm327 devices.

Though I just went straight to bafx's site and this is a little troubling. You can still get 'em on amazon, just take care you know you're really getting one of theirs, as with anything, there are copies out there.

You must be registered for see images attach

I did shoot them an email to see if this was just a website error, or if they're no longer carrying these. Hoping for good news. They seem to deal in a weird variety of items..

Richard

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autel MaxiAP200 is what I use. Pairs with your phone, I believe either iPhone or Android (I use Android), can download manufacturer specific subscriptions ($20 per year per manufacturer), and will do advanced things. For example, I replaced the brake booster pump and valve body on my wife's Prius, and used this with the Toyota subscription to bleed the system. It's not a typical brake system, the regenerative braking requires a specific sequence of valve and pump motor activations and bleeding at the wheels. Otherwise I'd need a Techstream from Toyota for $1500, or pay a shop around $3-$4k for the job (the parts alone were about $1500).

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well good news! I found an old android phone of mine with torque - lite and it had timing advance on there. Was at 12' positive idle and 38' positive at 3,000rpm. No clue if thats good for an old 5.7 vortec but it was in line with past threads.

I think im done wrenching around and going to park it until I can remove the intake and replace the fuel injection system. Thanks!

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer Torque to Dashcommand, but IIRC Torque is Android only.
I’m looking into current options for BT OBD and a scantool app capable of reading timing and troubleshooting MaF issues.

Does the Torque App (iOS) have this capability? I found this on Amazon

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’m looking into current options for BT OBD and a scantool app capable of reading timing and troubleshooting MaF issues.

Does the Torque App (iOS) have this capability? I found this on Amazon
I'm not an ios guy but any app claiming to be "Torque" for ios is riding on a name. Look up Torque Pro - it's an android app only. Can't speak to functionality of any ios app.

Richard