Ignition Timing Apps/PIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71_Zimmerly

Reaction score
For those of you who have set Vortec timing with a bluetooth app after replacing their distributor:

I know this topic has been touched upon, but I'm looking for some more detailed information.
5.7 Vortec - '98 K1500
I replaced my distributor correctly, and the engine is running well. I just need to slightly adjust my distributor housing.
I bought the BAFX bluetooth OBDII adapter, and plan on purchasing an app to view cam retard/timing advance.
Here are my questions:
-What is a "PID", and what do I need to do to calibrate these settings?
-Am I adjusting using "Cam retard offset" to view my current timing, or simply "timing advance offset"?
-What else do I need to know before doing this? Keep in mind- my timing is pretty close. By the sound of the engine, I think I just need a small adjustment.

Thanks! Like I said, I know this topic has been mentioned, but none of the info available has gotten me these few last answers I need.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're changing the distributor position, and that changes the synchronization of the cam sensor with regard to the crank sensor. You're not changing the ignition timing.

I expect you're looking for "Cam offset" or something similar.

I can't help you with more than that. I just use a scan tool, not a software-on-laptop solution.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) language, PID is the acronym for Proportional/Integral/Derivative control where the computer looks at the desired vs actual setting, then adjusts accordingly depending on how you adjust the different PID settings. Proportional takes wide swings by itself, Integral sets how much the adjustment is at a given time, and Derivative is how often it looks to adjust. Normally you only use PI unless it takes a long time for the controlled item to react like, a giant tank of water or a big chunk of steel. If you really want good control on your coolant temps you can use this algorithm to turn on/off your electric fans with 1 sensor. Anytime you want a hysteresis in your controls, this is the way to go :waytogo:

Disclaimer - it's been ages since I messed with this stuff :33:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Snap-On, and most other sources PID is Parameter Identification.

According to one other source, PID is Performance Information Data.