AMP Mounting location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I disagree with placing it as high as possible. Hot air rises. The bigger concern though is the angle of the seat, the higher up it is the less air is available on the surface of the amp, and the seat may in fact contact the amp which can really help overheat an amp.
My problem could also be I still have the carpet on the back wall, whereas now the amp is on a floor mat. Now I have an idea of what I really need to do!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have run mine for years right up next to the seat without any problem-with carpet and no fans.

A couple things stand out for me on this one though. What is the ohm rating of your subs? If they are 4 ohm youre running the amp at two ohms and a Sony wont like that. It will cause it to draw a large amount of current-or at least a larger amount than it was designed for. And that will definitely cause it to go into protect mode. Also, like was mentioned above, if you arent running large enough power wire (you should be running at least 4 guage at that wattage) you will starve the amp for power and that will cause it to get warm too. If both are happening, youre making grilled cheese in the truck. Check the power wire about a foot from the amp and see if it is getting warm too.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
My Amp is under the passenger side rear seat, on top of the jack storage box, right on the carpet and have never had trouble. Been there since at least 2000.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have it wired like option 2, and you are running 0 gauge wire, and you are only running it at 75%, you shouldnt even be getting warm, well, maybe warm but definitely not hot.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still think I just have bad airflow. In open air it gets warm. Back there it is hot to the touch.