Alpine UTE 73BT - user can't figure out new interface/control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Cadillac Bob Very nice looking rig. On the tire thing - I am trying to get to ~13" but it will be difficult at 33" and that's why the M&H stuff at 30" might be what I have to look at but need to look at load ratings and this will require new 17 or 18 wheels :-( I had a previous Alpine unit in the truck, wired to an external amp and factory sub in the console and I didn't want to have to gut the console to change headunit wiring harness so I stayed with Alpine. If I can't make the control logic work for me I'll put the old unit back in. I had the dash apart to add a new switch panel from New Vintage USA so a stereo upgrade seemed to make sense - not so much now.... :) Poor picture of current setup, incomplete.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally found a reason to get the truck running and spend more time trying to understand the new Alpine deck.Thanks to @Wh4t3v3rs who provided some very useful insights which allowed me to figure things out. For reasons I can't fathom, the default search level is at the track level. Once you invoke the search function you need to follow that with two 'back step commands' to return up from track to album to artist - makes no sense to me to start at the track level but now that I understand that, I can work with it. Cheers and thanks.

canyn

Reaction score
If anyone here knows their way around these newer Alpine units, I sure would appreciate some assistance. The unit is in the truck and working fine but for the life of me I can not figure out how to search/scroll through artists with the mp3 files on a usb thumb drive.

My older Alpine unit you just tapped the volume button and it entered search by artist - turn to scroll thru the list - click to select.

Any help would be appreciated - internet search didn't turn up anything useful and I have read the exceptionally poor manual and it doesn't seem to cover this.
Cheers
Mark
Hello:

I signed up just to answer this question. I have a 'newer' Alpine UTE-73BT...cannot say how 'older' Alpines worked.

On the new(er) Alpines, you do tap/press the volume knob to enter the search display. Turning the knob does scroll through the list. To change the hierarchy (music list) level, press the LEFT rocker button just below the knob. The user's manual lists it as #12, calls it the 'Back' button. One press takes you one level 'up'. The volume knob will turn through the choices at that level. Another 'Back' press will take you another level 'up'. Eventual presses of that #12 button takes you back to the 'source' display, in this case, the USB input.

I do NOT know how to navigate DOWN the hierarchy except to ENTER the list (push the volume knob) and go 'Back' through it UPward again.

Good luck with your Alpine!

**edit** I did look at the last post page...but did miss your response that you got it sorted.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello:

I signed up just to answer this question. I have a 'newer' Alpine UTE-73BT...cannot say how 'older' Alpines worked.

On the new(er) Alpines, you do tap/press the volume knob to enter the search display. Turning the knob does scroll through the list. To change the hierarchy (music list) level, press the LEFT rocker button just below the knob. The user's manual lists it as #12, calls it the 'Back' button. One press takes you one level 'up'. The volume knob will turn through the choices at that level. Another 'Back' press will take you another level 'up'. Eventual presses of that #12 button takes you back to the 'source' display, in this case, the USB input.

I do NOT know how to navigate DOWN the hierarchy except to ENTER the list (push the volume knob) and go 'Back' through it UPward again.

Good luck with your Alpine!
Thank you for this - I should have reported back that I think I figured it out and its goofy. You are correct - hit the rotary knob but what is goofy is it isn't clear where it drops you in at (I think it is at the Album level) then you have to 'back' up to the artist level if you want to change artist or you push the knob again to go down to the track level in the current album you are listening to ( I may have that wrong). In short, it isn't at all intuitive for me and therefore I can't retain it... :) The older units as I recall always dropped you in at the top of the folder structure. Have ordered up a Sony GS80 which I hope has a cleaner interface. Cheers