Almost no brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The same 95 k1500,
Previous owner, for some strange reason had a nail shoved inside the brake line going to the right rear wheel cylinder. I found it while trying to bleed the brakes last night. Bleed them all several times and pedal still went to the floor easy. It'll stop, but barely.. even swapped out the master cylinder and booster and bleed again. Still pedal almost to floor.
Can a bad brake cylinder cause this?

Reaction score
It had brakes before I removed the nail, it was hard to press the pedal. Now the ABS light stays on too

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Were the calipers replaced at some point? Could they be on reversed with the bleeders facing down instead of up?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Could be the ABS solinoid thing is full of air. I had the same problem when i replaced my brake lines. I had to load mine up and take it in to a shop and have them power bleed it with a tech 2. If you can ive heard of some people takin it out to a dirt road and kicking the abs in and it getting better but id try that at your own risk.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Simple things first.

Are you bleeding in the correct order? RR LR RF LF?

Did you bleed the master before you put it on?

When you push the pedal with the engine not running, how hard is it

Reaction score
Bleed reverse order. FL, FR, LR, RR
Master cylinder is off another truck, it's pushing fluid good. Read that if the little brass thing under the rubber cap on ABS goes out 1/8" when brakes are pressed and back in with brake depressed that it was working correctly, but I don't know if that's true or not.. with the truck off the brakes are firm, and get even firmer if pressed again.
It only started after removing the nail from inside the right rear brake line.

Reaction score
Front caliper bleeders are facing upwards.
I did notice while my wife was pumping the brakes for me to bleed them, the rear shoes weren't really pressing the drum till she held the pedal down hard.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Front caliper bleeders are facing upwards.
I did notice while my wife was pumping the brakes for me to bleed them, the rear shoes weren't really pressing the drum till she held the pedal down hard.
Try adjusting them out until they barely touch the drum when your foot is off the break then jump in and pump it while slowly backing up

Reaction score
Changed the cylinder, bleed that one RR..
Bleed the ABS block.. drove down the road and slammed on the brakes at 20mph five times.. bleed each corner RR,LR,RF,LF five times each.. bleed the ABS while running four times.
It now has brakes. The ABS light still stays on, but it's stopping as good as my 98 does. I'm guessing it's okay for now, and should probably just replace the ABS unit later.
We're going to bleed them again tomorrow night while the brakes are cold and see if it will make it a little firmer.
It'll nose dive if you jab them, and quickly stop and squeal a little if you slam on them hard.
This truck has been testing every nerve I have left..lol.
But I believe it is finally safe to give her Saturday :)

Thank you guys for helping me yet again!
I'll keep posted tomorrow how it does once bleed cold. :)