ALDL Scan Cable, is there a "how to" on installation instructions for dummies ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having trouble with my '95 5.7 performance, mainly idling. I bought this software (Red Devil River ALDL scan cable) off ebay and was hoping it was a simple plug and play.

I'm seeing that I don't have a full understanding of what's to be downloaded and how to get this software up and running so I can diagnose my engine performance.

I'm able to load the TunerPro onto my desk top but that's about it. This is where it's confusing to me. What's the next step, can't figure it out. Obviously there's more to download since (I believe) there's more than just my truck application on this disk.

Or is this program above and beyond, and more to it than your DIY guy?

Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Desert Old Guy..lol I'll go register and see what I can learn. Looks interesting.

If I end up having to take it to a mechanic..ugh !! is there anything in particular I need to search for skill wise or be aware of in reference to tuning these babies.

My greatest fear is one trying to slide one by me. I live in south Florida, shamefully it's not a reputable part of the state when it comes to quality work! Which is now the reason I do all my ac work. After a $280 charge (few yrs ago) and was told "You're fixed and that's as cold as it'll ever be" I chose to buy a set of gauges and learn myself.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple hints, you need to make sure you're set up for the same com port. In TP go to tools/Preferences/Configure plug in components on the left side (make sure you select Standard Serial in Port Type). In windows open Device Manager to ensure they're the same.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then, in the same Tools Preferences click on the right side Configure Pug-in Component and make sure the boxes are checked.

That should get you going along with some reading on the link above. Enjoy, lots of good stuff!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ I don't understand one little bit of that.

That's why I bought a scan tool instead of a computer program. I see/clear codes, I see/record data stream, I can work various under-hood actuators like the AIR diverter valve or the IAC. I can make my Trailblazer dashboard gauges go from "0" to full-scale at the touch of a button.

I wouldn't know a $0D or a $0E if they bit me in the ass.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lmao Schurkey,. Out of curiosity what scan tool do you have. In case I can't figure this thing out.

Though playingwithtbi really helped with the last few post. I understood it better after seeing the pics with his description.

Btw.. With this all being said and done. I often wonder if my ECM could possibly be bad too ? Is there any way to tell for sure ?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I often wonder if my ECM could possibly be bad too ? Is there any way to tell for sure ?
One simple test is the paper clip, with the key off stick it in the ALDL connector shorting pins A & B then turn the key on. It should flash pause flash, flash, and do this 3 times (Code 12) that means the ECM/PCM is working. Other than that, it's hard to tell if just one output/input is bad or your bin is corrupt. I've read where these old chips (EPROM) do degrade after so many years but, haven't seen any proof of that...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to direct you to another forum, where I made an extensive post to a guy who couldn't believe that an OBD-1 vehicle could provide info to a scan tool.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1146067

Posts 14 and 15.

Good info! Should give folks an idea how powerful these tools are. In my 1227747 ECM bin there's a "hack" where you can see spark advance and injector base pulse width too in TunerPro. We can data log for hours if we want but, usually 1/2 hour or so will capture what your looking for if it's there. Some issues just don't show up in these parameters.

In EBL Flash2 (which I'm currently using) It will automatically tune my VE fuel tables as well as AE and PE with a Wide Band O2 sensor - note cAFR and WB on the right. You can see Knock Count and Sa Reduction when it happens so you can adjust your SA tables accordingly.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't know a $0D or a $0E if they bit me in the ass.
The code for the binary files in you ECM is written in Hexadecimal. Some people can edit them without any help but looks like a bunch of numbers and letters at different addresses. The definition or mask files (such as $0D) decodes it so people like me can read and kind of understand it. The above screenshots are with the Definition Files in place.