Air intake question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking about removing/keeping open that odd flapper inside the air intake but while reading about that, apparently there’s supposed to be a hose connecting the bottom of the flap to the exhaust!?!?! Is that true? If so mines missing..

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes its a stove pipe used in cold starting the door closes after it warms up
You must be registered for see images attach

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What the heck!!! Truck only has 88k miles how did that go missing... any idea where I could buy that part?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The flap is operated by a wax pellet. No lie. Look at the assembly inside the snorkel; the cylinder shaped piece is a wax pellet that melts inside the container and allows the flap to open. They do go bad, and can allow the flap to stay closed when it should not.

You can delete the whole assembly by drilling the couple of rivets and chopping the end off the rod for the flap. You'll want to fashion a patch to cover the hole in the snorkel where the assembly used to go. Or, get the air cleaner housing from a truck that wasn't equipped with the flap. I got one from a '95 C2500.

Or if you wanna just keep it original, that little flex hose is available from the auto parts store. Take your air cleaner housing with you as there are a few different diameters.

Richard

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Last night I got a 2”x18” which is what AcDelco said would work and it was way to big :( tried to use hose clamps but that just ripped a large hole in it. So now after work I’ll head to the junk yard and look around or try to find a 1 1/2” one

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you strike out, LMC has it for about $10. That means it should be available elsewhere, too..

Richard

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it might actually be broken, I ran the truck for about 10 minutes and it didn’t open