Ahh F&$@! Just got lucky.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the rear drive shaft on my old k5 come apart on me on the way to the beach. the end just sheered off, luckly it was at the rear and it just dragged the ground. I took it off put it in 4wd and drove the rest of the way to the beach on the front axle, I would never attempt to drive that far on and IFS.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Haha, I had an interesting experience with my jeep a few years back. It had the awd transfer case, and a carrier bearing supported rear shaft. The rear pinion's "straps" snapped breaking 2 of the bolts off and I kept hearing this odd "fiddle-faddle" sound every so often. Got out and checked and the ujoint was still lined up with the pinion, but the straps had spun to the outside and when I'd hit a bump they would slap the muffler pipes lol. Snatched the leftover straps off with a pair of vice grips and head on down the road. Couldn't really do anything for it at the time, was on my way home from Cali; just had to take it easy and hope the front didn't decide to muck up.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My U-joints were going. I knew it, but, I had a vibration before the joints were going. So i had decided to buy a used one, put in new universals & get it balanced. Picked up one at the wreckers, & two miles from home, the rear universal lets go. I mean it's on the ground! Good thing I had my little 'wrecker's toolbox'. So here I am, on the side of a freeway, (RIGHT on the side! Skinny shoulders!), under a truck with a 4/6 drop, trying to put in a driveshaft. Easy job, right? Yea, sure!!! Every truck I see, while under this thing, has me scrambling out till their past.
Then along comes this guy, in an absolute beater, rust bucket, of a GMT400. Says "Let me give you a hand". Proceeds to put out orange cones about 500 ft. back from my truck, puts on an orange safety vest, then directs traffic into the next lane. Took me all of about 10 minutes to get the *&^$#@! driveshaft in. Guy runs up, asks me if everthing is copacetic. I tell him I'm good to go, just gotta pick my tools up. By the time I do that, he's picked up his stuff, and gone! Never saw him again!

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My U-joints were going. I knew it, but, I had a vibration before the joints were going. So i had decided to buy a used one, put in new universals & get it balanced. Picked up one at the wreckers, & two miles from home, the rear universal lets go. I mean it's on the ground! Good thing I had my little 'wrecker's toolbox'. So here I am, on the side of a freeway, (RIGHT on the side! Skinny shoulders!), under a truck with a 4/6 drop, trying to put in a driveshaft. Easy job, right? Yea, sure!!! Every truck I see, while under this thing, has me scrambling out till their past.
Then along comes this guy, in an absolute beater, rust bucket, of a GMT400. Says "Let me give you a hand". Proceeds to put out orange cones about 500 ft. back from my truck, puts on an orange safety vest, then directs traffic into the next lane. Took me all of about 10 minutes to get the *&^$#@! driveshaft in. Guy runs up, asks me if everthing is copacetic. I tell him I'm good to go, just gotta pick my tools up. By the time I do that, he's picked up his stuff, and gone! Never saw him again!

There need's to be more people like that!

bowtiedude

Reaction score
Haha yeah. But it be a real laugh when you pull into a Parkin lot and stop and put it in park and she keeps rollin' when you step out of the truck. I reached in an locked up the parking brake (no offense to anyone here) but right as I did that an elderly black lady drove by screamin "yo pole thing fell out!". Lol

I sneezed coffee over that one

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score

thread revival for an awesome story and an awesome person.