aftermarket transmission cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlivewyer

Reaction score
When you install an aftermarket transmission cooler, do you have to put new cooler lines from the transmission or can you extend the stock lines.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah doesn’t Kit come with rubber hoses that extend? It’s probably just me, but those would make me nervous as hell. :oops:

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Extend the stock ones,kit should have the hose,the clamps & those plastic thingies to attach it to the radiator.You could also make your own brackets to attach it to the core support.

I used one similar to this
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 S-10 LS V-6 trans **** the bed around 180k. I friend of mine rebuilt and he told me to bypass the stock cooler in the radiator and install a Hayden cooler in the front of the rad. while I put the trans back in the truck. I did and now 45K miles later it works fine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he told me to bypass the stock cooler in the radiator and install a Hayden cooler in the front of the rad.
Bad advice, especially for anyone who does genuine winter driving.

The "trans cooler" in the radiator does two things: cools trans fluid that's hotter than the radiator coolant; which would be around 160--170 degrees. It also warms trans fluid that's colder than the engine coolant, speeding transmission warm-up in cold climates.

In short, the in-radiator "trans cooler" stabilizes the trans temperature so that it's held within normal operating limits. A stand-alone "cooler" cannot warm cold fluid, and--depending on the size of the cooler--could "over-cool" fluid.

There's basically four ways to plumb a "stand-alone" trans cooler. The way I recommend is to route the hot fluid into the stand-alone cooler first, then to the in-radiator cooler, then back to the transmission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad advice, especially for anyone who does genuine winter driving.

The "trans cooler" in the radiator does two things: cools trans fluid that's hotter than the radiator coolant; which would be around 160--170 degrees. It also warms trans fluid that's colder than the engine coolant, speeding transmission warm-up in cold climates.

In short, the in-radiator "trans cooler" stabilizes the trans temperature so that it's held within normal operating limits. A stand-alone "cooler" cannot warm cold fluid, and--depending on the size of the cooler--could "over-cool" fluid.

There's basically four ways to plumb a "stand-alone" trans cooler. The way I recommend is to route the hot fluid into the stand-alone cooler first, then to the in-radiator cooler, then back to the transmission.
In warmer climates like here in Texas, I do the GM method myself. From the trans into the upper radiator port, then from the lower radiator port to the inlet of the auxiliary cooler then back to the trans. This is how both my Express van and Tahoe were factory plumbed.