After Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan1raysouth

Reaction score
I have a 98 Yukon with 5.7L L31 I’m planning to replace the engine out with another used 5.7l. I have a few questions that need to be answered before I get started. I’m good on removing and installing but after installation will there be any electronic procedures like a tune or would I need my ecu flashed or Would I be able to plug everything into new engine and should start up? I suspect I would have to do some sort of procedure. I plan to keep everything stock.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Straight swap would be plug and play, your long term fuel trims will be off for a little while until the computer learns the new engine. Your short term fuel trim may throw a code if its too far off but it'll come around when the LTFT comes in.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put an engine with a significantly different cam in my '99 Suburban, and it fired up and ran perfectly fine. I ended up taking the motor back out, but because of an internal issue with the motor, not anything to do with how it drove. As a matter of fact, I took it for one solid rip around the block before yanking the motor back out, and the MPFI didn't have any issue keeping up with the big cam. If I'd kept the motor in it (I should have), I'd have gotten it tuned. With a stock-for-stock replacement I wouldn't bother.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dan1raysouth

Reaction score
so if I wanted to pull a motor from the junkyard the only way to know if it’s good is it pull the oil pan and inspect it?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so if I wanted to pull a motor from the junkyard the only way to know if it’s good is it pull the oil pan and inspect it?
That doesn't test the valvetrain, or the compression pressures. Or assure there aren't oil leaks. Or assure that there aren't cracked castings.

Treasure Yard products are a calculated crap-shoot. Make sure you get some sort of warranty--30 days should be enough. Or make sure you pay so little that you can afford a "mistake".