Adding another fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this but i can only average about 250 miles 300 if i run it risky in one tank of gas, I'm wanting to have an alternate tank, I was thinking similar to the 67-72 c10 relocated tanks that are at the back of the bed underneath. My spare tire is in the bed so there is plenty of space, just wasnt sure if anyone has done this or if there is an easier solution?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
use a tank from a 2 door yukon or blazer those are rear mounted

I don't think one of these will fit between the frame rails of a truck. A suv runs a totally different frame than a pickup. I know the receiver hitches are not interchangeable because of width differences.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have always thought about using a gmt400 suburban tank. Mount it where it would be mounted in a suburban where the spare is on the trucks. I think the suburban tank is 42 or 43 gallons. Should extend range substantially.

megaburb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya their right around 42 but I wonder if that big old honking tank would hang to low? But I guess if you don't drag the tail over stumps it probably won't be a big deal...

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
either tank will work you have to remove the spare tire holder and make some type of crossmembers to attach the tank to and on the yukon or blazer or tahoe the width i believe is less than the truck chassis so that leaves room for the tank since its width is less so with a little fab work anything is possible

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, so a burban tank originally is mounted where the spare is on trucks?? May need to find a tank do some measuring or hell find a metal sop and have them make me a fuel cell type tank that will fit perfect

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
my dad has a 2000 F250 and because its a diesel he installed an aux tank in the bed that gave him an extra 55 gallons, hes driven from LA to CT on one tank which is like 1500 miles, but if i remember correctly you cant do that with gas, only diesel

happy 1000th post for me