Adding a GM 12 Disc Changer to a 2000 Classic 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dr_goodwrench66

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got working! Installed a radio/CD combo from a 2002 Sierra and it works flawlessly. An insider from a GM repair facility (Specmo) told me the older units did not have the capabilty to recognize a remote changer, however a slave CD or cassette would work just fine. He said its all in the electronics inside the radio itself. As long as the radio is from a GMT-900 or newer it will work. So I swapped one from an 02 GMT-900 and all is well. Thanks for the help guys!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I got working! Installed a radio/CD combo from a 2002 Sierra and it works flawlessly. An insider from a GM repair facility (Specmo) told me the older units did not have the capabilty to recognize a remote changer, however a slave CD or cassette would work just fine. He said its all in the electronics inside the radio itself. As long as the radio is from a GMT-900 or newer it will work. So I swapped one from an 02 GMT-900 and all is well. Thanks for the help guys!

How did the newer radio fit in the opening?

What about the OBDII data? (IE: speed)

I assume your theft loc wasn't on the new radio? Post 2001 needs a tech II to unlock.

A pic or two would be nice...

dr_goodwrench66

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, meant to say GMT-800! It snaps in the same way the old one did. I have a T2, but that was not needed. Just had to unlock it by getting the unlock codes.