Accessory position no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
My accessory position on my ignition is not giving me any power to the radio or anything else. The cylinder will turn there but no power. The cylinder is sloppy between lock and on, so I dont know if I should look at the cylinder first or the switch.

Anyone run across this? Never had this issue myself even with the 7 or more older GM's I've owned.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not completely sure for our trucks but on quite a few GMs there is a red wire that feeds 12v to the switch in the accessory position, testing that with the key in flipped to accessory will let you know if the problem is before the switch. If you see 12v on the red you'll know the problem is the switch itself or something after it. There should be a brown to test that is supposed to have 12v off the switch (leading back to the accessories). If that has no voltage you'll know it's the switch. Like I said I'm not positive on wire colors but hopefully this points you in the right direction. :)

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys- I do think there are 2 wires (red and maroon or 2 reds) that go in/out of the ign switch. I will check the breaker and those 2 wires for power. The fuse panel labeling in these trucks is a bit misleading- I remember there used to fuses specifically for cig lighter, accessory, ignition, etc...

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
Fuses checked out - I think the alignment of the switch and the key cylinder is off- The cylinder looks to have been replaced, and I have to turn it really far forward to get the truck to start- so I think it needs to be kicked back one tooth- That will be a good afternoon job...