AC repair/overview on a 30 year old truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked on Sanden site and I don’t think they make a compressor for a 92 Blazer. I think it said for 96 and up.

Replacing an R4 with a Sanden requires different brackets and hoses.

Google "R4 Sanden retrofit".

ALSO, first and foremost IMHO...

Pull the orifice tube out and see if the filter is clean, or plugged with crap. If crap, I suggest you replace all rubber lines, replace-or-thoroughly-flush all hard lines, and do a d@mn good job of flushing the evaporator (or replacing it, which would be preferable but is not simple).

When you re-assemble, put half of the total oil charge (which I think it's 8oz total for your system, and you'll need to use PAG oil) in the receiver/drier and the remaining in the compressor.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to peruse this thread. It applies to a 1996 truck (which from GM used R134a with an HT6 compressor) but there are other relevant details for you to sift through.

You also might give the guy at AC Kits a call / email and talk to him. He's been helpful to me in the past.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some information on the R4-Sanden retrofit, for you or others.

This conversion is a work-in-progress for my 1995 S10 using a Sanden 4864 compressor (see FLX Series Compressor Catalogue, attached).

Attachments

• Compressor brackets R4-Sanden.pdf
    270.4 KB · Views: 7
  • FLX Series Compressor Catalogue.pdf
    789.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Sanden 4864 - S10.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not looking to do any retrofits/upgrades, the stock compressor is all I need. I'll also find the orifice tube and check it, if its the filter for the system that's really good to look at. The evaporator core is cheap but it looks like I have to pull the dash to do that? Probably not terrible in these trucks. I think I have a blend door issue too since the passenger vent gets a ton of flow and the driver side gets none.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
351FUN I tried looking on RockAuto but I don’t have all your Blazer info, like with or without rear AC. Also, just looking around I couldn’t find any GM Genuine compressor’s other than remanufactured which I personally wouldn’t get.
Blazers don't have rear air, that's only on 4 doors. I've found GM compressors on other sites, not sure if I'd trust the Amazon listing though.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blazers don't have rear air, that's only on 4 doors. I've found GM compressors on other sites, not sure if I'd trust the Amazon listing though.
I think that's where I found my Sanden and either purchased from amazon or confirmed that it is a part I need and bought from rockauto. Amazon is ok

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t say 4 doors. When I enter information for a 1992 Blazer on RockAuto and look at A.C. Hoses, it shows hoses for With or Without Rear Air.
You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, when converting from R12 to R134A you need to completely flush the system. The Mineral oil used in R12 is not compatible with PAG oil used in the R134A system. You can use an Ester oil but, I prefer to flush the system - it needs to be flushed anyway.