AC repair/overview on a 30 year old truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@351FUN, does your Blazer have the coolant crossover valve discussed here:

The 1998 service manual shows it used on the "Suburban / Utility" models, which would seem to include the Blazer (Utility). Of course, yours is a 1992 and may be different.
It does not, must be a later addition.

RollinTurd

Reaction score
As some of the others stated, pulling the dash is difficult but IMHO worth it. My heater box was leaking a/c condensate under the carpet in my 88 c1500. What started as a leak repair ended up as a full a/c job... The two halves of the box had black RTV in the tongue and groove joint that was leaking.

Wish I would have dealt with the blend, recirc, and other damper and motors while I was in there... 4 years after the repair above they are having issues.

jdjonesdr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question: On my 94', Can I install a new compressor cycle switch on the accumulator without losing pressure?

BTW, I was able to buy a new switch and the connector on Rockauto.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
The foam between the case and the defrost is the biggest leak. Mine had turned to dust. I cleaned everything and used stick on foam weatherstrip from Lowes.

Attachments

• defrost01.jpg
    defrost01.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM0999.JPG
    HPIM0999.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 11

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question: On my 94', Can I install a new compressor cycle switch on the accumulator without losing pressure?

BTW, I was able to buy a new switch and the connector on Rockauto.

The switch has a Schrader valve behind it, so yes you can. Be aware that it will leak pressure until you screw the valve all the way off, and then again until you screw it all the way on. If done quickly, it isn't a significant loss.

jdjonesdr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The switch has a Schrader valve behind it, so yes you can. Be aware that it will leak pressure until you screw the valve all the way off, and then again until you screw it all the way on. If done quickly, it isn't a significant loss.
Thank you.

I appreciate your time and effort.

cjcb1100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
GPD 9612921B kit on rock auto is this kit good for r134a? i read the dryer has to have the xh7 or xh9 media or something along those lines i want to use the updated scroll pump with 134a i searched for hours could not find a answer

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GPD 9612921B kit on rock auto is this kit good for r134a? i read the dryer has to have the xh7 or xh9 media or something along those lines i want to use the updated scroll pump with 134a i searched for hours could not find a answer

What exactly is your application?

Interestingly, RockAuto lists the applications as being (only) 1990 C/K pickups 1500/2500/3500 (I won't assume, necessarily, all models).

Here's the parts explosion from RockAuto for that kit, you might investigate each part individually for its applicability.

The claim that the compressor is "prefilled w/ OE specified oil" leaves me with a few questions.

You may wish to take a look here; I did, but didn't see any indication of R134a applicability.

I realize that it's impractical for any mfgr to sell an R12-specific part, given the fate of R12. Then again, I know guys that still have a 30# can of R12 on hand (me for one) and also have access to other R12 "replacement" refrigerants (for whatever you happen to think of them; I'm not a fan of refrigerant blends when used in an application that's likely to develop leaks, e.g., automotive).

At one time I myself looked into that scroll compressor but for some reason decided against it. I seem to remember that the scroll compressors had some characteristic that I felt undesirable (poor low-speed pumping capability?); maybe someone here can comment.

Instead I set my sights using a Sanden replacement instead of the R4.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

cjcb1100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly is your application?

Interestingly, RockAuto lists the applications as being (only) 1990 C/K pickups 1500/2500/3500 (I won't assume, necessarily, all models).

Here's the parts explosion from RockAuto for that kit, you might investigate each part individually for its applicability.

The claim that the compressor is "prefilled w/ OE specified oil" leaves me with a few questions.

You may wish to take a look here; I did, but didn't see any indication of R134a applicability.

I realize that it's impractical for any mfgr to sell an R12-specific part, given the fate of R12. Then again, I know guys that still have a 30# can of R12 on hand (me) and also have access to other R12 "replacement" refrigerants (for whatever you happen to think of them; I'm not a fan of refrigerant blends when used in an application that's likely to develop leaks, e.g., automotive).

At one time I myself looked into that scroll compressor but for some reason decided against it. I seem to remember that the scroll compressors had some characteristic that I felt undesirable (poor low-speed pumping capability?); maybe someone here can comment.

Instead I set my sights using a Sanden replacement instead of the R4.

You must be registered for see images attach
1990 k2500 5.7/ that style condenser pictures

cjcb1100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is their a sanden style where i dont have to have custom hoses or wire basically plug and play ?