AC Charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello yall, my 95 Chevy k1500 needs an AC charge. When the previous owner put a new engine into it he just never charged it up.

I'm going to just use cans and send it but my question is, do I need to add any PAG oil to it, or just the refrigerant?

tj350

Reaction score
Usually there is not much oil lost so I only add oil if replacing a compressor. I do residential air conditioning and we never add oil to systems when recharging it works out fine

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think the chances are that it sat open for a year or so? What do you think the chances are that he didn't bung up any of the o-rings? I'm often the guy who's open to just throwing it together and seeing if it runs, but I'd consider flushing the system and replacing all the o-rings. It's really easy right now without the system charged.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you think the chances are that it sat open for a year or so? What do you think the chances are that he didn't bung up any of the o-rings? I'm often the guy who's open to just throwing it together and seeing if it runs, but I'd consider flushing the system and replacing all the o-rings. It's really easy right now without the system charged.
Yeah there's for sure always that chance. But I also have a friend with free refrigerant so I'm saying screw it! Lol

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I went to charge my ac and the compressor sometimes kicks on. But then the clutch kicks off and it makes an awful pulley noise with the ac off too.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to change the compressor and the answer is, that is why is was not working.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to change the compressor and the answer is, that is why is was not working.
Probably, the ac had no charge in it. Once I started charging it kicked on but then randomly stops and makes the horrible hearing noise. Is there a chance I just need to charge the ac more?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a feeling the ac clutch bearing may be shot. It can be replaced without the compressor coming out all the way though

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be replaced without the compressor coming out all the way though
Yes it can, with the proper tools. You may have to remove the upper fan shroud to get to it though.