Abs poss.swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I swap a 2000 1500 tahoe or suburban abs unit into my 1997 Tahoe? What would have to be changed? I did the 2000 tahoe master, baer front brakes and rear disc swap but still looking for better braking.
Thanks in Advance
I am collecting parts to go 2000 rear disc set up because now have larger wheels

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I swap a 2000 1500 tahoe or suburban abs unit into my 1997 Tahoe?
Not sure. I've heard that replacement ABS units for the '95--'98 or '99 are not available, so I'm kinda interested in this, too. I've got ABS problems on my '97 K2500.

I did the 2000 tahoe master, baer front brakes and rear disc swap but still looking for better braking.
What is the piston size on your calipers, vs. the bore size of that master?

Wild Guess: Your master cylinder bore is too huge for the calipers; you've destroyed the hydraulic advantage the system was engineered for. But since I don't know the ratio of caliper piston bore area to master cylinder bore area, I can't be sure.

What brakes was this truck born with? JB5? JB6? Something else? Do you know that the booster is working properly, and compatible with the "upgraded" master cylinder?

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Schurkey Not sure what were the front calipiers origanily But when I did the conversation to the baer Front Gt calipiers and 2000 tahoe Master I had the booster match up. So That part of set up is good. I also did rear disc conversation (summit) but I had the stock wheels now have 18 inch and swapping to 2000 Tahoe rear disc brakes with the bigger rotors and dual piston Calipiers. I will do this first. See if improves. Then delete stock abs See if improves. Then last and hope I do not need to add hydroboost.
Thanks for the help again
Be Safe
Skip