A/C system with R134a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nokia

Reaction score
hello guys . the restore of my Silverado 1990 stepside still going.
A/ C doesn't run , maybe the gas system is empty. question : can be fill the system with R134a , or need to upgrade system with a news Compressor, hose and filter ? thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should change the dryer/receiver, orifice tube, and do a complete flush. Some people say change the condenser too. The mineral oil used in R12 systems is not compatible with R134a it uses PAG oil. You'll also need to change the fittings on your low and high side lines.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I am not an expert at all, I've just had several cars throughout the years changed over. They always change the dryer/receiver & orifice tube like PlayingWithTBI mentioned and also flushed the system. The condenser has never been changed on any of my conversions and the air is quite cold. You should feel my Town Car, it'll turn the entire cabin into an ice box after awhile even on the hottest, nastiest days of Michigan humidity shenanigans.

Town Car was converted about four years ago, hasn't been touched since. My '89 K1500 is going on year two. Both have new compressors though. My Firebird was probably converted about 7 years ago, not sure if it still works as I haven't driven it in two years. Worked when I parked it...

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the R12 systems I converted I used Ester oil as it's compatible with R12 & 134. Like PlayingWithTBI and DerekTheGreathave said, change the accumulator and orifice tube.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the R12 systems I converted I used Ester oil as it's compatible with R12 & 134. Like PlayingWithTBI and DerekTheGreathave said, change the accumulator and orifice tube.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Changed mine 10 years ago and still works great, had to change the rubber hose due to a bad valve core problem. Looked larger than original though.

A good flush , and the other parts mentioned above with a new compressor.

Flushed out the system with alcohol, worked fine for me.

The guy sold me the compressor ,dryer and orfice tube on EBay recommended Ester oil with Ice 32 found at AutoZone.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited: