A/C Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walkeraviator

Reaction score
First let me say that when bought the truck two years ago, I had to put a bit of freon in it, but had it around JD 40psi on the low pressure valve and it worked flawlessly since. However, with it getting hotter out I started using the AC some and found it to be blowing cold at highway speed, but blowing warm air around town.

When I attempted to hook up the gauge to check the low pressure side, it shot off the scale high. I'm guessing over 100psi. I also checked the functionality of the fan and verified there is nothing blocking the condenser.

Any insights? Could a bad compressor cause that high pressure on the low pressure side?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Potentially. You really need to know what your running pressures are on the high and low side to get a more accurate diagnosis.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pressures with the A/C off out in the sun can hit over 150 if it's baking in the sunlight. Hooked my gauges up the other day when it was 95 degrees, truck parked in the shade, but it was up to temp as I had just driven it about 5 minutes before(inside wasn't cool though), and it was around 125 psi, and that was low on charge. So you cannot judge charge without it running and the system normalized.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
General rule.... high side twice the outside temp plus roughly 10%... right now in texas at my shop that means roughly around 200 mark on the hight side.. and the low side usually ends up about 35 to 45... that's with 134A mind you...

sent from what use to be a great country...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your not cooling well at stand still but cooling great at highway speeds.. that tells me that either your fan isn't working right or your condensor is in need of a washing out/hose job...

sent from what use to be a great country...