A/C fan sounds horrible - how hard to change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fredridge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fan for my A/C system sounds horrible. I need to replace it. 1992 Blazer

I thought I saw some threads on it before, but can't find them now.... I even searched for "Squirrel" :)

Anyway, how hard is it to get at the fan? Do I have to pull the whole dash?

Any tutorials our there?

Any way to upgrade to a better fan while I am doing it?

Anything else I should do while I am in there?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't have to pull the dash. It's actually a fairly easy job on 88-95, the only PITA part is you have to get the computer tray out of the way because the padded cover on the blower motor is held captive at the top by the tray. It has 3 screws through it, some are sunken. A little tight working area but not too bad. The other gotcha is it's a slightly tight fit getting the motor out/in; just take your time and note that the metal mounting plate on the fan motor has a flat area meant to help you position it during this job to reduce interference. Don't force the new one in or you'll disturb the plastic squirrel cage on the shaft and put it out of balance, which sucks bigtime and can be extremely difficult/impossible to correct.

While you're in there you should strongly consider cleaning all the junk out from the evaporator core area. Really, do this. Guarantee you there's a bunch of leaves, pine needles, small animals, etc. in there. Thread written up on it somewhere on the forum...but in a nutshell reach in through the housing while the fan is out, scoop out all the crap you can by hand, if you have a very flexible-nozzled vacuum use that, or a little compressed air. Then some foaming evap core cleaner sprayed in there and rinsed thoroughly with water.

Richard

Fredridge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks... Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

Any chance there are upgraded fans that blow more air?

Mine only has the 3 speed blower

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not 100% sure as I've never had to do this with mine, but from what I've read if you clean the evap core as mentioned in the post before yours it'll improve your airflow immensely. Probably won't have to worry about changing fans after that.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No upgraded fans, but one going bad can deliver less airflow. More likely though you have less airflow because of the crud clogging up your evaporator core fins. All air in the system regardless of controls setting must pass through the evap, so if it's got debris and dirt all over it, that's not good.

You must be registered for see images attach

What's not covered with debris here is clogged with caked-on mud; this is from dust settling on the fins and turning into mud because the evap is wet with condensation when the A/C is running. Now consider that all of the air coming through your HVAC system regardless of being on A/C, heat, defrost, etc. mode - must pass through this.

You may have noticed 4 speed fans on a '94; there's no increase in speed, just more speed variations between off and full blast.

Richard