A/C Compressor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well just like clock work, my a/c compressor is once again shot. i seem to get about 2 years out of one. me and my fiances (girfriend at the time) dad changed it out sometime in 06 i think. then that one went out in 08 i believe, so i had a shop do it becuase it was tryin to lock the belt up when running and i needed it running soon and i didnt have time to fix it. now this mornin, it finally bit the dust again, and its lockin up again.

so do any of the guru's of the gmt400 (or any vehicle of that matter) have advice, tips, or tricks to making one last longer than 2 years?

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the first one was reman...dont remember what the shop put in the second time tho

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a new delco or delphi compressor, use the proper oil and amounts (IIRC its PAG150 on my '96), and replace the acclimator, and drier tube when you do replace it at the very least....you'll also want to replace the condenser and evaporator if there is alot of metal shavings in the system too which it sounds like there might be since you've had several compressors go, it also would be a good idea to properly clean all the tubing or get new tubing for the system....when the compressors go, they can blow metal shavings into the system, and if you just replace the compressor or just a few components, they can work their way back to the new compressor and take it out pretty quickly.

when I did my system, I got all the parts at rockauto and saved ALOT over the parts stores and dealers...I'd recommend re-doing the whole system, hoses and everything, it sounds like a pain, but it should stop the problem and give you some longevity. my stock '96 compressor lasted until this summer, and I re-did the whole system, I'm planning on getting another 14 years out of it at least.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah id like to redo whole system. just aint in pocketbook right now. they have filters that you can add that is suppose to protect compressor from any debris left over, so im gonna go that route for now.

LikeARock

Reaction score
if you don't need AC, i think its dorman makes a pulley that just mounts in there in place of the compressor to delete it... just a thought

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i didnt need the a/c, i would definitly go that route, but i live in LA thought should explain it there.

well i changed the compressor, dryer (accumlator), and orfice yesterday. we blew alot of metal chunks out of the condensor too. in the process of disconnectin the piping where the orifice sits, the stationary nut spun (due to corrosion or trash on threads of fitting) and ovaled the hole the orfice sits in. we barely got it out. and couldnt get a new "whole" one in. we have part of one in there now. the plan (prior to the orfice problem) was to run thesystem for a couple weeks and the change freon and orifice, but now it seems i will add a new condensor to that list lol.

but for now, i have cold air blowing.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the difference between the condensor on my truck versus a yukon or suburban? the one for a suburban is cheaper than my truck and the yukon is even cheaper. i figured they would all be about the same.