A/C Compressor Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoutlaw

Reaction score
So about 2 years ago I had to remove my compressor and put a bypass pulley on. I now want to put a new compressor on so I can get my A/C working. I know that I will need a new compressor, accumulator, and hose assembly. Also gonna replace the orfice filter. I know I need to get A/c manifold set and vacuum pump.

The question I have is how do I put the PAG oil in the system? My factory service manual says I need to add 2 oz of oil to the compressor itself. What about the putting oil in the rest of the system? Do I just pour it into the accumulator since it seperates it anyways and puts it back through the system? Also I am assuming that I will need to replace all the oil in the system because its been vented to the atmosphere this whole time. I just ziptied the compressor hose back out of the way when I removed the compressor.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Oil is typically added by the machine as it purges and charges the system.

Your best bet is to button it all up and take it to a shop that will suck it down, flush it and fill....

theoutlaw

Reaction score
I don't know if the shops around here open Monday. Tuesday I have to drive it all the way to Idaho. Can't delay the trip because I have to be there for court to get custody of my daughter. I wanted the A/C working so she doesn't cook on the way back.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, your best bet would probably be to just roll with 4 windows down since it's such short notice. Maybe while you're in Idaho you can stop at a shop. Do some research into shops around the area, that way you can possibly find a shop either close to where you're staying for court, or you can drop it off and have some daddy daughter bonding after all is said and done.

theoutlaw

Reaction score
Well figured I'd update this to help people. The instructions that came with the compressor said to pour half the oil for the system into the compressor and the rest into the accumulator. So that is what I did. I also purchased a A/C flush that comes in an aerosol can and sprayed it into my evaporator and let it sit for awhile like can said then took my blowgun and blew the evap and line out. I then loan-a-tooled the A/C manifold set and electric vacuum pump Autozone and followed the instructions in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grpf3Tge3O4 I did this Monday and then left Wednesday and enjoyed my ice cold A/C the whole trip. So lesson learned. A/C work is easier then everyone thinks.

I do have some advice though. Even if your not replacing a part still replace all the O-rings in the system. O'reilly has a model specific O-ring kit for the A/C in our trucks for $6. Cheap insurance because old O-rings are always next weak link in the system. Also use PAG oil with the UV dye already in it. That way if ever have a leak you can find it easily. And if you replaced the condenser charge the system before you put the grill back on. That way if you have any leaks right there you don't have to pull the grill back to fix them.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I never said it wasn't easy to work on.

The issue for most people is the specific one time use tools.

Like the manifold gauges and the vacuum pump. Its usually just easier and cheaper to pay a shop to suck it down and charge it up.

There's also the legal concerns with environmental laws, but thats a discussion for another thread.

:)