A/C compressor not cycling on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, UV light tells the story. Compressor failed and blew Freon all over everything. Now it’s time to decide if I wanna put more $$$ into it. Summers here in Northern California can get up to 110*. I dunno at this point.
Yes, you do know.

Spend the money, make the A/C work properly, long-term.

Your Grand-dad lived without A/C in his car...doesn't mean you have to.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Living in the Calif. central valley, ahh freezing winters and 100° plus summers. When it hits over 95° every day for a week or two, window down at highway speed...."why didn't I change that XXXX compressor.." Been there done that.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, UV light tells the story. Compressor failed and blew Freon all over everything.
Umm... can you be more specific? "Blew Freon all over" might have been a sudden, possibly massive discharge. I can't imagine a compressor would do this unless it (a) popped a high-pressure protection orifice or (b) it pushed-out an O-ring or ruptured a line.

The point: What you're seeing may be due to some other factor, like a blockage in the high-pressure line (to name but one of many factors that might have lead to excessive high-side pressures).

Can you tell us something about the "debris field"? Can you pinpoint the source of the discharge? That will provide more insight into the root cause.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
M
Umm... can you be more specific? "Blew Freon all over" might have been a sudden, possibly massive discharge. I can't imagine a compressor would do this unless it (a) popped a high-pressure protection orifice or (b) it pushed-out an O-ring or ruptured a line.

The point: What you're seeing may be due to some other factor, like a blockage in the high-pressure line (to name but one of many factors that might have lead to excessive high-side pressures).

Can you tell us something about the "debris field"? Can you pinpoint the source of the discharge? That will provide more insight into the root cause.
Maybe it's belly leaker-hence"blew it everwhere". I'd fix it. It's not as expensive as you may think. New UAC Sanden is what-140$? Drier and orifice is cheap. And since you're in Cal I would not think twice-I live in UK and it's summer 13 deg Celcius-winter 13 deg celcius-but it gets hotter and for those days I can't imagine living without it. And with all the rain or winter days we have I can't imagine not using it for simply defogging windscreen. It's a must imo-not a luxury.
I always post this write up to those in doubt-it gives clear idea of what needs to be done-but you don't have to change everything. If you have just front system it's so much easier. If you have dual but don't care bout rear you can block it off and fix just front.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in the Calif. central valley, ahh freezing winters and 100° plus summers. When it hits over 95° every day for a week or two, window down at highway speed...."why didn't I change that XXXX compressor.." Been there done that.
What part of the central valley? We lived in Merced and Los Banos before we moved here. Just think instead of "over 95° every day for a week or two", think every day over 100° for a month or two.

@K-Man FIX IT!!!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's belly leaker-hence"blew it everwhere". I'd fix it. It's not as expensive as you may think. New UAC Sanden is what-140$?
His is a 1994, likely an R4 compressor. Unfortunately, no Sanden direct retro-fit (as you probably know but others may not). It can be done tho, I'm working on a Sanden retro-fit on my '95 S10 (which is an R4).

The HT6s were the belly-leakers.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A
His is a 1994, likely an R4 compressor. Unfortunately, no Sanden direct retro-fit (as you probably know but others may not). It can be done tho, I'm working on a Sanden retro-fit on my '95 S10 (which is an R4).

The HT6s were the belly-leakers.
Ah sorry-missed that part. Still I'd fix it anyway. Wonder what blocked it to the point of burst then. Defo disconnect what you can and see what's inside-debris.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Seconded.
A working A/C system will save you MPG as well. Windows up on the highway keeping it as aerodynamic as possible.

What about a used compressor from a junkyard? Worked for my '99 Jimmy. $50 used, got a 30 day warranty, had the compressor installed the next day. Still worked icy cold 3 weeks later, figured I was golden. That was 2 years before I sold the truck. Next owner (a coworker) had to recharge the A/C 2 years after that...