A/C Clean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
94 TBI 350
My A/C is cold, but doesnt have much power to it. Meaning it blows, but about as much as a chihuahua fart. My blower sounds like its dirty or broken. How difficult is it to clean/replace the blower motor and get some airflow back? And what are the steps?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are a ton of videos on this, on you tube. They will show you a lot better than I can tell you. As for how hard it is, its not hard at all. I just replaced my blower motor and the blower resistor. It made a world of difference in my truck. Everything is behind the glove box. Also there is a filter in there, I just removed mine. It was nasty so I just tossed it.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem is most likely a clogged evap core. If the fan motor runs on all speeds but just doesn't blow very hard, the core is almost certainly clogged. As @kennythewelder said there are many videos on how to clean the core. The problem is caused by the fact that the truck has no cabin air filter. Follow the instructions and your air flow will get a lot better. There is likely 26 years of crud in there that the fan is trying to blow through.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94 TBI 350
My A/C is cold, but doesnt have much power to it. Meaning it blows, but about as much as a chihuahua fart. My blower sounds like its dirty or broken. How difficult is it to clean/replace the blower motor and get some airflow back? And what are the steps?

The blower motor is below the glovebox and just above the floor. There's a screw or two holding the cover--try not to tear up the plastic, insulated cover, then 5-6 screws attaching the blower. The evap is to the left. Check youtube.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are a ton of videos on this, on you tube. They will show you a lot better than I can tell you. As for how hard it is, its not hard at all. I just replaced my blower motor and the blower resistor. It made a world of difference in my truck. Everything is behind the glove box. Also there is a filter in there, I just removed mine. It was nasty so I just tossed it.
There is a filter? Oh you have the updated interior. I don't think there is a filter in mine.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a filter? Oh you have the updated interior. I don't think there is a filter in mine.

Neither of my '97s have a cabin air filter. I don't think any of these trucks did from the factory. Makes me think someone added one to Kenny's truck.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The filter is NOT accessable without removing the blower motor. I dont think there is a replacement for it. It is just to keep stuff like leaves out of the evap core. It is in the opening going from the fan housing into the evap box section. If you pull the blower motor, then reach to the opening and pull the filter out. There is no there way to get to the filter. It is not a replacable filter like in newer vehicles.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The filter is NOT accessable without removing the blower motor. I dont think there is a replacement for it. It is just to keep stuff like leaves out of the evap core. It is in the opening going from the fan housing into the evap box section. If you pull the blower motor, then reach to the opening and pull the filter out. There is no there way to get to the filter. It is not a replacable filter like in newer vehicles.
SO when you say filter you really mean a screen of some sort?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ah OK, that makes more sense.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 K1500.

NO filter. Evap core filled with pine needles and cottonwood fluff. Spend hours cleaning it out with a vacuum on one side, and compressed air on the other, the air nozzle poked up into the floor heat diffuser. Ended up picking needles out with my fingers.

Works pretty good now.

BEWARE the foam gaskets that seal the heater ducting. They turned to jelly on my truck, gave me a cold-air leak in the winter so bad the cab would never warm up at highway speed, and not much better in-town. Had to pull the whole system down to replace the foam gaskets. I used household foam weatherstrip rolls.

If you don't need to replace the foam, you won't have to pull your dash completely apart. The HVAC blower motor is pretty easy by itself.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: