A/C Clean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
94 TBI 350
My A/C is cold, but doesnt have much power to it. Meaning it blows, but about as much as a chihuahua fart. My blower sounds like its dirty or broken. How difficult is it to clean/replace the blower motor and get some airflow back? And what are the steps?
What I found in a '95 are a lot of leaves in the cavity and some corrosion on the contacts where wires clip onto the blower. I'd say I got 50% more airflow cleaning these up. I had to drop the glove box door, remove the ECM and remove the blower. You will want 5.5mm and 7mm sockets working in that area. I was in to change the heater core. You will feel like a pretzel, so get a foam knee pad for the ground. The other detail is the replacement blowers don't have the same mounting as the OE. There's about a 0.4" difference in the anti-vib gasketing. I just used the old blower. (To clean, use your hand to grab leaves and you can try getting some ~1" highly flexible hose and adapt it to your shop vac vacuum.)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How do you keep it dry when it rains and the cowl opening is flooded with water?
If I understand him correctly, he's got the filter placed over the actual fresh air inlet which is a wall of sheetmetal inside the cowl; it's several inches above the floor of the cowl valley - the same thing that keeps water and (most) debris out of the air inlet.

It sounds like a nicer version of what my idea of a solution for keeping trash out of the air inlet - a simple covering of window screen cut to fit the area between the plastic trim above the cowl area and the opening below. It would still collect pine needles and other small debris above it and need to be cleaned out from time to time, but very little of it would actually enter the fresh air inlet.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What really obstructs the airflow isn't the larger debris but the accumulation of dust onto the wet fins, which quickly becomes mud, and clogs the fins. This is why the real filter setup Donald mentioned might be beneficial. Here's what that mud looks like.. now remember, ALL airflow through the system regardless of temperature setting, must pass through the evaporator core. In fact, the area where the larger debris is, is the only area actually letting airflow through. The fins above that debris are literally caked with dried-up dust/mud.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard