A/C Clean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The A/C evaporator gets most of the debris. Some will end up in the heater core. Don't forget to blow that out, too.

Wild Guess: The "scotchbrite" filter being discussed is NOT OEM. Anyone have a GM part number for this sort of filter? I'm guessing "no", but I'm prepared to learn something. I bet someone thought it was a good idea, and stuffed it in there on that one vehicle.
The filter is OE. I bought my truck from the original owner who bought it new. He never had the HVAC box apart, never changed the blower motor. I am the first person to pull the blower motor, and the filter was in there. I have seen something somewhere about the filter and replacing it and remember looking at the replacement filter, but as for a part number IDK. Like I said before, the filter is not made to be replaced as regular matinance.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The TJ Jeepers ('97-'06) add a cabin air filter under the cowl of these Jeeps to prevent pine needles, leaves, whirlie thingies and general off-road debris from caking up the condenser.
The desert guys also use it to filter dust when they 'wheel in a group.... they use AC all the time.
Simple as "duct" taping in place or making tubing out of sheet metal or pvc to attach a filter.

Duct tape ... real metal duct tape over a year in use.
You must be registered for see images attach

Fabricated metal and tubing...
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm sure something similar can be fashioned to the GMT400 air intake under the cowl area.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In this video, the guy takes apart his HVAC box and replaces the EVAP and heater core. At 4:45 into the video, he takes the bix apart, removing the lid and pulling out the evap core. You have to look close as he pulls the evap. He flips it over as he pulls it, but before he flips it, you can see the filter screen on the evap core. At one point he pulls off the screen filter. They dont show him replacing this filter screen. This is done before the 7:00 min mark into the video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kenny,
I see the screen you're referring to. It appears it's on the down stream side of the of the heater core, which is interesting why that would be there. When running the AC the air is diverted to the evaporator, so I don't THINK that it should affect the flow of the air when in AC mode.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kenny,
I see the screen you're referring to. It appears it's on the down stream side of the of the heater core, which is interesting why that would be there. When running the AC the air is diverted to the evaporator, so I don't THINK that it should affect the flow of the air when in AC mode.
As soon as the guy in the video pulls the evap core, he flips it around. And yes in the video it looks like its on the down stream side, but I was able to remove mine from the blower fan hole in the HVAC box with out removing anything but the fan. Its just hard to reach inside there from where the fan bolts up, without removing anything else. Why in the video, he had leaves and junk on the other side of the evap core IDK. I started all of this in hopes of the AC blowing harder. I cleaned out the blower motor area first, even rinsing it with a water hose, and removing the screen filter. That didnt do much to improve air flow though. Changing the blower motor and resistor with new parts was the ticket.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kenny,
It appears all the leaves and junk are on the upstream side where the air passes through the core first, that's why I don't understand the screen being downstream AFTER the air has passed through the core.

I just had an idea, I wonder if a guy could stick his compressor hose up into the vents and "backflush" with air a lot of the crap back to where the blower is loacated.

Just an idear.........o_O