A/C Bypass/Delete Pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
Ok I'm at my wits end. About 6 months ago I removed my compressor after the pulley seized. Ever since I have battled this incessant belt squeal. Originally was only at start up to warm/low idle, progressively worked it's way to anytime it runs. I'm 99.9% sure that it's not tracking true, the spacers/formed washers(?) that are formed behind the compressor goes to the bracket it mounts to broke off in pieces. I used washers to do my best job to align it but I have no clue how to find replacements to install a new compressor. Can anyone help? Please.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
I've changed my belt tensioner twice (warrantied), an idler pulley, replaced the P/S pump pulley with a NOS GM pulley, water pump and swapped the pulley with an OE style replacement, TCI dampener when the original one finally started to separate, recently warrantied the alternator when I suspected a bad rear shaft bearing. I feel like until I get a new compressor on with the proper alignment spacers (for lack of other name) this isn't going to change.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Being possibly a little out of alignment shouldn't cause it to squeal. Is there any possibility the belt or any pulleys got contaminated while you were working on it? Any antifreeze, degreaser, etc. that gets on the belt can make it squeal forever.

Oh and if you ever get around to replacing those spacers, be super careful. It's very, very easy to break the bracket while you're tweaking it around those areas. That cast aluminum is not very forgiving.

Richard

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
replaced the P/S pump pulley with a NOS GM pulley, water

It may not be your issue, but make sure that the power steering pump shaft is flush with the pulley flange. If not, it can cause a misalignment in the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

castine917

Reaction score
What about going to a pick and pull/junkyard for a whole bracket? Compressors get picked off first and brackets get left behind all the time.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
It may not be your issue, but make sure that the power steering pump shaft is flush with the pulley flange. If not, it can cause a misalignment in the belt.

I used a depth micrometer and the different in pulley and shaft is only .0004. So hopefully that wouldn't be it.