Votes: 1 20.0%
  • other?

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • mandrel bent exhaust

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • intake manifold

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whytry

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK well finally tackling this project.

see post

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/99-bu...ed-and-shut-off-towed-home-please-help.37757/

I have found a motor at a local wrecking yard, with 120k on it, 6 month warranty too, for $600, complete long block. I will be pulling the old one this weekend coming up and then getting to start the new one next week. I was looking at some perforamance stuff while at it. I just had CAI, and exhaust on it. But while I'm here was looking at adding some small stuff that can always be moved to the blown motor once I rebuild it. Was looking at the Summit headers (Pacesetters) and a Throttle Body Spacer, combined only $240. I have about $1000 I have been putting away for this project and I am assuming there is going to be some stuff I have not accounted for, like new plugs, hoses, etc. This is where I am thinking now. Anybody have any other suggestions? Do not want to tear into guts on this motor, just quickly replace it so I can then tow my 68 Camaro to get it painted....

But if you had $1000 to spend and $600 was motor, am I on the wrong track for some little performance mods?

Lastly, is there a post that has steps to remove this motor, that I can follow, I have done motor pulls on my 68 Camaro but that is easy... Nothing really wired...

THX all!!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I would do the new MPFI Spider, 1.6 Roller rockers and the Vmax Intake manifold spacer... again. I did it to mine and was pleased with the results.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
throttle body spacer will net nothing, v max intake spacer will do something as its increase the volume of the plenum itself, the cold air as well is doing more harm than good in most cases. power programmer also a waste, headers are meh as well as mandrel exhaust, youll spend more than youll ever benefit in a stock application. as suggested id grab an MPFI unit not that itll increase power but efficiency in mine was certainly impacted and overall ran better. 1.6 rockers definitely. self aligning unless you stud the heads. but not gonna net you a ton. if you choose and aftermarket intake and start pulling out crucial engine parts id be looking at a marine intake or a proflow and swapping computers to that of a 0411 which is what im doing on my 331 vortec stroker minus the intake. gonna see hwo much boost the stock one can take before it blows into pieces.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
your truck is also that easy, pull all belt hoses and wires off, two motor mounts 6 bolts for manifolds, 6 for bell housing, 6 for trnas inspection cover, 6 for flywheel, it even has nice hooks where your chain goes. give her a yank and shes out. 30 minute job tops

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
your truck is also that easy, pull all belt hoses and wires off, two motor mounts 6 bolts for manifolds, 6 for bell housing, 6 for trnas inspection cover, 6 for flywheel, it even has nice hooks where your chain goes. give her a yank and shes out. 30 minute job tops
Unless you have rusty ass exhaust manifold nuts. I highly suggest soaking those in pb blaster or trans fluid for a solid day or two before hand lol.

whytry

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you have rusty ass exhaust manifold nuts. I highly suggest soaking those in pb blaster or trans fluid for a solid day or two before hand lol.

Already have them soaking now. Figured its just sitting there now. I will have to look into that MPFI setup. Thanks for all the thoughts so far!!

whytry

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Perfect! Glad to hear its just as easy!!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score

TBH even living in michigan the only exhaust manfiodls ive broken are that of triton motors and 99+ ls's. ive never got one to break on a sbc maybe luck was on my side.

TigerEyz3

Reaction score
Another vote for the MPFI spider upgrade. The factory spider poppets are prone to clogging and disintegration - changing them out is insurance and as stated, has a slight efficiency/performance gain (though small, they have real injectors at each cylinder). While you're in the intake, make sure you use the new Felpro gaskets. If you have the coin, it would be a perfect time to install the VMAX Spacer (especially since you said you're going to be towing) - nice mid-range torque boost. Don't waste your time with the throttle body space...you don't have a carb/wet intake.

I've made quite a few changes over the years to my Tahoe (see my sig link)...all engine mods have had practical applications (latest mod was the HT383E). If you're looking at towing and headers, I'd personally recommend going with a Tri-Y setup.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Awesome thread guys, I have a 99 Suburban, 5.7 with 4l60E. My engine has 212K on it but it's in very good shape.... but I've never pulled an engine before. If this one pukes on me at any point, I think this is a decent vehicle for a guys "first".

I suspect the trans will be the first to go. I've already rebuilt the rear end, so I figure if I can handle that, I can handle an engine/trans swap.