98 will not move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987cut

Reaction score
No detents? It just moves freely?
If so, busted shift cable 100%
No, I can feel the detents. Im not a newbie. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Im not getting power somewhere. Im trying to get it in my shop now. It’s got a 4/6 drop under it and I’ve got to get it up in the air. I was hoping it was something common in these 96-98 trucks

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
No, I can feel the detents. Im not a newbie. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Im not getting power somewhere. Im trying to get it in my shop now. It’s got a 4/6 drop under it and I’ve got to get it up in the air. I was hoping it was something common in these 96-98 trucks
If no detents felt, cable is either disconnected or broken. But if you feel the position of each gear, that's not it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured we’d already moved beyond obvious mechanical reasons.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a matter of being a newbie, it's a matter of working through the possible causes, and if you'd provided that information to begin with, I wouldn't have started there.
A broken shifter cable is common in these trucks.
It's unlikely to be a power issue or you'd have at least 2 forward gears and reverse.

1987cut

Reaction score
I just got out from under the truck. The shift cable is working. I can feel the detents. The neutral safety switch is working. The 20amp PRNDL fuse has 12 volts on each side. I checked the bulkhead connection and nothing is bent. The tach is working. No CEL

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you have someone row gears and observe the transmission lever moving? If your trans is full and the lever makes a full sweep your trans needs a rebuild. A 4L60 defaults to 3rd gear when it loses power and reverse will still work.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly the brake shift actuator?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media