4L60E Transmission not responding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
1995 C1500

Freshly swapped a newer used confirmed working 95 4L60E. Came out of a Camaro. Everything bolted up right, just needed to change shift shaft and tailhousing. Remanufactured torque converter installed and gapped correctly. When I opened the trans up it was clean on the inside. Looked great, minimal material on magnet.

Yes it’s plugged in
Shift cable hooked up and working properly.
probably needs more fluid but as of topping it off it’s showing full.

Fired the truck up for the first time in quite some months since it had a cab off resto. Just got don’t plugging everything back in. Threw into reverse and got no response from the slush box. What gives??? Please help, I am unsure what to do about this.

*EDIT* fired her up and put the coals to her and she had some movement very slow. I imagine it’s in limp mode home? How do I get it out of that!!!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1995 C1500

*EDIT* fired her up and put the coals to her and she had some movement very slow.
Probably smoked it with that move. It's not workin' , and hammering on it is going to fix it?

You're aware to checked trans fluid with it running after shifting into each gear with a drain , refill empty converter, preferably with the drive wheels off the ground/no load, then recheck level, etc? If not it was a gallon low.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1995 C1500

Freshly swapped a newer used confirmed working 95 4L60E. Came out of a Camaro. Everything bolted up right, just needed to change shift shaft and tailhousing. Remanufactured torque converter installed and gapped correctly. When I opened the trans up it was clean on the inside. Looked great, minimal material on magnet.

Yes it’s plugged in
Shift cable hooked up and working properly.
probably needs more fluid but as of topping it off it’s showing full.

Fired the truck up for the first time in quite some months since it had a cab off resto. Just got don’t plugging everything back in. Threw into reverse and got no response from the slush box. What gives??? Please help, I am unsure what to do about this.

*EDIT* fired her up and put the coals to her and she had some movement very slow. I imagine it’s in limp mode home? How do I get it out of that!!!
You have no movement in any range setting (shifter position)?

How many quarts of fluid did you put in?

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
*SOLVED*

Sorry jumped the gun a bit making this thread. Novice mechanic that just rebuilt this truck bolt for bolt here.

Kept adding gender neutral juice then getting in and rolling in in drive and reverse and little by little she came up to speed.

*didn’t really hammer on it just enough to move the wheels then stopped. Spent 5 grand on this turd so far didn’t wanna go overboard*

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
Project just getting started. But everything that can be removed below the body is new transmission aside, and all metal refinished and sealed inside and out. Working my way upwards now.