98 static Tahoe questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4doorhoe

Reaction score
I want to go with a 5/7 but not sure how to get the back down that low. I know it’s hard and I could just go with a less aggressive drop but I am really pushing for a 5/7. What helper bags would work? Also plan on swapping a 2dr Tahoe gas tank which will sit behind the axle. What crossmembers need to be notched? Going to be running 17 inch billets

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Helper bags won't make it lower, they help level a vehicle for towing. You will need a flip kit and C notch. @Skeletal may be able to share his experience with dropping his Burb, that may help you.

4doorhoe

Reaction score
Helper bags won't make it lower, they help level a vehicle for towing. You will need a flip kit and C notch. @Skeletal may be able to share his experience with dropping his Burb, that may help you.
I have the flip kit and c notch already, I have heard that on the 4 doors I would need helper bags to keep the truck level due to the weight in the back.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the flip kit and c notch already, I have heard that on the 4 doors I would need helper bags to keep the truck level due to the weight in the back.
I run the helpers in my truck at about 15 lbs because it rides better, but shackles dictate ride height. Maybe the SUV's are different?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
7 in the rear is a challenge. I am down about 5.5 in the rear and to go further, you would definitely need to relocate the gas tank and do some other work to have any suspension travel at all. Plus shocks get wonky - it's hard to find anything short enough that are actually worth spending money on. At 5.5" static, I had to make a new crossmember over the driveshaft, cut out the crossmember over the diff, C notch, modify the fuel tank filler, relocated the shocks, and make a new exhaust over the axle. At 7" dropped, you will probably need to modify the floor in the rear to clear the diff, and you would definitely need to relocate the tank.

Helper bags are not your problem, nor your solution. It's just for leveling if you run a load. I ended up just going with stiffer leaf springs. They don't actually make the truck ride better, unless the suspension is soft enough that it is hitting the bump stops or bottoming the shocks out. The added spring rate/ride height keeps the suspension off the stops a bit better. Most people have the suspension set up too soft (stock leaf springs) for being low, and the Tahoes are even more sensitive to it because there is so much more weight over the rear axle.

4doorhoe

Reaction score
7 in the rear is a challenge. I am down about 5.5 in the rear and to go further, you would definitely need to relocate the gas tank and do some other work to have any suspension travel at all. Plus shocks get wonky - it's hard to find anything short enough that are actually worth spending money on. At 5.5" static, I had to make a new crossmember over the driveshaft, cut out the crossmember over the diff, C notch, modify the fuel tank filler, relocated the shocks, and make a new exhaust over the axle. At 7" dropped, you will probably need to modify the floor in the rear to clear the diff, and you would definitely need to relocate the tank.

Helper bags are not your problem, nor your solution. It's just for leveling if you run a load. I ended up just going with stiffer leaf springs. They don't actually make the truck ride better, unless the suspension is soft enough that it is hitting the bump stops or bottoming the shocks out. The added spring rate/ride height keeps the suspension off the stops a bit better. Most people have the suspension set up too soft (stock leaf springs) for being low, and the Tahoes are even more sensitive to it because there is so much more weight over the rear axle.
Will a 2 door tahoe gas tank fit in a 4 door? I believe they run through the spare tire holes on the frame. Do u have pictures of the new cross member you made?