98 OBS cluster problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey fellas.

I have cluster problem as lot of you guys have - vibrating fuel gauge niddle. Friend gave me his old cluster, it's broken but stepper motors are there. I've replaced stepper motor with the one from my friend's, took it from voltage gauge. But now it's not moving at all, showing me full tank. First thought was that i tabed needle too hard, but when i turn the key it's moving. So i for now i have some doubts that all stepper motors are the same. It's marked different, fuel motor marked F30, voltage V29, oil pressure, coolant temp, tachometer and speedometer starts with other letters. Idk that means anything. So for now i need an advice, what direction to go.

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Went to local car electric guy, he told me that voltage stepper motor interchangeable only with tachometer motor. Fuel gauge stepper motor can be interchanged only with coolant and oil pressure.... damn....

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I swapped my fuel gauge stepper motors when I swapped to the denali/120 mph cluster. It's working fine.

I would try doing the write up in 88gmctruck's post. Mine wasn't reading correctly though, so I didn't think that write up would have fixed my problem.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swap in an Esky/Denali cluster instead of spending any money on your stock one way to go imo, my stock one had the same issues looks 10x better and they aren't too hard to find

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yeah, i already read it, thanx.

Swap in an Esky/Denali cluster instead of spending any money on your stock one way to go imo, my stock one had the same issues looks 10x better and they aren't too hard to find

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I thought about it, but i'd prefer to use KM\H cluster and there is no denali\esky with it. And pay almost 500 for a new police one is crazy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370664876223?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Many times an incorrect reading is due to the sender in the tank or the needle incorrectly located on the stepper, which is unfortunately common from the factory.

The one I took out was broken. read 1/4 tank when I had 3/4 and bounced all over the place. Had 287k on it.

I swapped the good one that was in my '97 with 160k and it works like a charm.

That 200kph cluster is awesome. :D