98 K2500 Hydroboost to NBS/GMT800 Hydroboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the SRW JB8 system on my K2500 I’m pretty sure but the front calipers are both NAPA remans after the bleeders were seized when I bought it. I guess I could have gotten one of the lower tier brakes without realizing it but I did look into going to the thicker DRW system when I did as I was replacing everything so it would be a wrong part number in the boxes….

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JB7 and JB8 don't use low-drag calipers.

Low-drag calipers are death for the GMT800 master cylinder "upgrade".

I'm not saying the GMT800 master "upgrade" is a good idea, just that it's not as terrible as when the truck has low-drag calipers--JB3, JB5, JB6.

nyvenom30

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im in the middle of trying to get parts to upgrade the master cylinder. i just deleted the abs. im looking to go with the gmt800 MC but not sure which is best to go with or if anything newer works aswell. i know ill need a proportioning valve npt sure what to get and the BLF-26C adapter, im in the process of do a sas with a 08 ford SD dana60. ill be upgrading the rear brakes to disc aswell, using a dana70 from a 03 to 05 express 3500. gotta do a nice write up for us k2500 guys!! lol

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
,this guy did it also in the comments he states that he thought there might be better braking but he didn't really feel that,imo no rear disc either so mabye that's the difference?

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hydroboost is leaking on my 98 K2500 Suburban, it's wet back where the cast iron front and rear halfs meet up. I've done some searching but most of what I see is for 1500 Vac to hydroboost. I would love to make my brakes work a bit better on my Suburban with the GMT800 Master as well which I believe requires the GMT800 hydroboost. It seems easy enough to go hydroboost to hydroboost other than swapping the mounting plate from the GMT400 hydroboost over.

Big question I didn't see an answer to was the pedal pushrod? I have pulled a pushrod out of a hydroboost before so I could do that but it does leave the crimped socket a bit mangled. Seeing as the core value is pretty minimal on the GMT400 unit can I cut and splice them like was done to extend the GMT800 in this thread (https://www.gmt400.com/threads/gmt400-vac-to-gmt800-suburban-hydroboost-conversion-detailed-write-up.27168/) ?

Thanks
Swap out the pedal rod from your gmt400 unit and stick it in the gmt800 unit. I just did this swap last night and didnt have to change the pedal out. The geometry is spot on

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Without doing the GMT800 master I’ll probably just stick to the GMT400 hydroboost for less fooling around with. Someone made the point in a thread I reread that without rear discs it’s not going to work great and while I do plan on some day steeling a set off of a GMT800, that’s down the road long enough to not really plan against.