98 K1500 Z71 Ext Cab 5.7 Vortec - No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jd1794h

Reaction score
Good Evening All,

I have been reading the forum for awhile but this is my first time posting. I have a 98 k1500 Z71 ext cab short bed with the 5.7 Vortec that won't start. A few weeks ago, it started, ran rough for a minute, died, and has not started since. I have checked and/or replaced a lot in an attempt to get it fixed. A similar issue happened a few months ago and I replaced the fuel pressure regulator with a Delphi unit and that fixed it until now. At first I checked fuel pressure and it was not holding after the pump shut off so I figured there must be a leak inside the upper intake manifold. When I pulled the upper intake manifold, it looked like fuel had been pooling under the cylinder number 6 and 8 injectors so I figured viola there is the problem. I replaced the injector assembly with a re-manufactured unit from Rock Auto but still no joy.

After replacing the injector assembly, I have checked fuel pressure (55 psi at the service port with key on and now holds for awhile after the pump kicks off), I have good spark, I have compression, I used a noid light to verify that the ECU was pulsing the injectors, the spark plugs are wet with gasoline, and when I spray a little carb cleaner in the throttle body, she runs until she burns up the carb cleaner and seemingly floods out since the plugs are wet. The only code I get is P1351 but that can happen from just a long crank time (from what I have read). I have also tested a re-manufactured ECU that was pre-programmed with my VIN, a new ignition control module, a new TPS sensor, and a new idle air control valve. Additionally, in the past 6 months I have replaced the mass air flow (MAF) sensor and the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor. Lastly, I have a pretty good scanner and can see that the values for the sensors are showing values that make sense.

So with all that, my only real question is what should the vacuum pressure be when cranking over the engine? When cranking the engine, my MAP sensor shows like 97 kPa which is basically atmospheric pressure (ie no vacuum). I also checked it during the few seconds I can get it to run on carb cleaner and it goes down to about 40 kPa pretty quickly, once she fires, and from what I have read it should run at that vacuum pressure so I do not think it is a large vacuum leak.

Unless you all have any better ideas, my last thought is that the re-manufactured injector assembly was just bad from the get go. Any other ideas? I am taking it to the mechanic this weekend unless you guys come up with a really good idea.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First off, 55 PSI key on pre crank is low. It needs to be over 60 PSI. That is a sign of a weak fuel pump. Next thing, a 98 has passlock. If that's tripped, the truck will start, then die soon ther after. Think about the 55 PSI, if you can get the truck to start, it will run on 55 PSI.

jd1794h

Reaction score
Truck starts on carb cleaner. Doesn't stay running. Also replaced fuel pump a few months ago albeit with an Advance Auto brand. Also did the security relearn on the new ECU and it still wouldn't start. On the old ECU, security light goes off like it should.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remanufactured injectors? I had read here about them, but never seen them. What brand are they? Are they the MPFI style? 55 psi should be fine on those. I seem to recall my 4.3 Vortec always ran at 55-56 psi.

Does your scanner have the functionality to do an injector balance test? Even if one injector is stuck closed or open I think it should start.

Why would you replace all of those sensors if they are showing good values.

So it sounds like the engine ran fine at some point?

Does the distributor have any play in the shaft? I think if the gear on it wears the rotor will spin, but the spark will not be timed wrong. Checking for spark leads you to believe everything is okay on that end.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a new fuel pump go out on me in 3 months. I only use AC Delco or Delphi pumps now for that reason. Like I said, 55 pre start, is low fuel pressure. Yes you may have other issues, but your fuel pump is also an issue. I have had my 97 5.7 L for almost 20 years. I have replaced several fuel pumps. At anything below 60 PSI, you are going to have issues.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once the truck starts, the fuel pressure will drop into the 50s. If you rev up the engine, the FP will come up to 60+ then fall off as the RPS fall off. When you turn the key on, before you try to start the engine, the ECM cycles the fuel pump for 2 seconds. This is where you need over 60 PSI. There is no magic bullet. You will have to work through and find the issue. Verify fuel, and ignition system is operating property. If so, the truck will run.

jd1794h

Reaction score
Re-manufactured injectors:
Gb remanufacturing 833221058 from Rock Auto.

They are MPFI style.

I replaced sensors because at some point you start grasping at straws and sensors are relatively cheap.

Engine ran great before she died. I haven't checked distributor shaft play but if timing was way off I wouldn't think she would start at all.

Unfortunately, my scanner is not advanced enough to do an injector balance test.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying fuel pump. Low fuel pressure would prevent the injectors from pulsing due to lack of pressure and I know fuel is getting to the cylinder since the plugs are wet with fuel.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I said from the beginning, you have low fuel pressure. I never said that is what is stopping the truck from starting. I also said, if you start it with carb cleaner, it will run with low fuel pressure. Vortec engines are very sensitive to fuel pressure. Look up the specs for your self. It's 60 PSI + pre start key on. Now back to your wet plugs. That is a sign that you are not getting fire to the plugs. That is where the no run issue is. Like I said in my last post ignition. Pull a spark plugs, put it against the engine block, and have someone spin the engine over so you can verify that it is getting spark. Simple.