98 K1500 - Sensor Identification / DLC Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BryanGT

Reaction score
So I'm new. I just picked up a 98 K1500 beater, to fix up/hunt with. I'm slowly working through all of it's many problems and need a little insight.

1. I recently swapped out the dash as half of the previous one was missing, and came across this sensor attached to the steering column. I'm hoping someone can ID it for me as I have no clue what it is. The rod was loose and came completely off of that nub. It seems the material inside just crumbled and there's little to hold it on. It runs through the cylindrical sensor in the back. It just looks like a clean pass through to me?

You must be registered for see images attach

2. Since putting it all back together, I really haven't been able to shift out of park. I was able to mess with it a bit and get it to go, but it just seems locked up.

3. The ODBII port on the truck...I can't seem to pull any DTCs from it. I have tried 2 different readers, and both have issues. It is providing power. There is a code thrown.

Thanks!

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats the brake shift interlock. That's what makes it so you have to press the brake pedal to take the vehicle out-of Park.

Did you plug the connector back into it?

As far as the DLC usually the cigarette lighter fuse supplies power for that but your saying it powers up but won't communicate? What code?

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully the pic is legible. Not sure if your scan tools are self power or powered by the DLC like the Tech2 but the fuse is worth checking.

You must be registered for see images

BryanGT

Reaction score
That makes sense then. My cousin unplugged things on that side of the dash and didn't know where that went. Seems it may have been unplugged. If so, would that allow it to shift?

As for the DLC port, my reader is powered from the port itself.

That was fast.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That makes sense then. My cousin unplugged things on that side of the dash and didn't know where that went. Seems it may have been unplugged. If so, would that allow it to shift?

As for the DLC port, my reader is powered from the port itself.

That was fast.
If you plug the electrical connector back into it it should work properly. When the brake shift interlock goes bad usually you can't get it out of park initially, it's stuck in Park or its intermittent. It's a safety feature and honestly if you had to you could just detach it. A New one should be cheap if you need it.

So your scan tool won't communicate with the vehicle still? The battery isn't drained/low is it?

BryanGT

Reaction score
Now that it is plugged in, assuming it wasn't connected before, is when its locked. Ill unplug it in a bit and see if it allows it to shift. I tried finding one but am having trouble. Is that it's actual name?

The battery should be good. Now one that I was testing with was one I bought to flash a Mustang I had once, and the other is a bluetooth.

Update: Unplugged it and can now shift.

Last edited:

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Transmission brake shift interlock or brake transmission shift interlock(BTSI) might want to call the Auto-Parts store they'll know what you mean.

It should work plugged in. If you depress the brake pedal and your brake light come on then your brake pedal switch is in adjustment and that should send power to your brake shift interlock allowing you to shift out-of Park. If your brake lights don't come on when you push the pedal then that might be the problem. I'd just double check that seeing how you guys had the dash off and what not.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

BryanGT

Reaction score
I just did more testing. Brake lights aren't coming on now. Plugged the BTSI back in and it locked down like it should. I did get them to flash a couple times when I would first start to depress the brake pedal. Ill look into this switch adjustment.

BryanGT

Reaction score
Alright. Replaced the brake switch and all is normal again. Ill also be replacing the interlock (found one new on ebay for $35) because it wont hold itself on anymore. Jury is still out on the DLC.

Amateur tip: Drop the column and its 100x easier to get at the switch. I just changed it with one hand.

100 thanks, bud!