98 k1500 Oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wetsewerrat

Reaction score
Any body got a line (rofl) on a really good braided oil cooler line with adapters to fit everything?

Need to do this job just dreading all the quick disconnect and O ring fumbling.

Also does anybody know what the fittings are that are actually attached to the radiator and oil cooler?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any body got a line (rofl) on a really good braided oil cooler line with adapters to fit everything?

Need to do this job just dreading all the quick disconnect and O ring fumbling.

Also does anybody know what the fittings are that are actually attached to the radiator and oil cooler?

If you still have a factory setup, AC Delco cooler lines last a long time. Even SS braided lines are not infallible nor would I expect them to last longer than quality (hence AC Delco recommendation) oil lines.

The fittings vary, usually the quick disconnect on the oil filter adapter, flare on the radiator that houses the auxillary cooler/heat exchanger. If you have an external cooler the factory lines I saw were reinforced hose to metal lines with the factory crimp from the radiator to external cooler. I think the coolers were quick disconnect.

It's important to put new o-rings in the quick connect fittings if changing out old hoses/lines.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a couple stock oil cooler adapters and lines if you need one. I take them off and use a regular filter

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If you still have a factory setup, AC Delco cooler lines last a long time. Even SS braided lines are not infallible nor would I expect them to last longer than quality (hence AC Delco recommendation) oil lines.

The fittings vary, usually the quick disconnect on the oil filter adapter, flare on the radiator that houses the auxillary cooler/heat exchanger. If you have an external cooler the factory lines I saw were reinforced hose to metal lines with the factory crimp from the radiator to external cooler. I think the coolers were quick disconnect.

It's important to put new o-rings in the quick connect fittings if changing out old hoses/lines.

Quality braided lines will far out last factory lines. The factory mind set is based on planned obsolescence, a new vehicle every 4.5 -5 years or just out side of the warranty peroid. The after market is more about happy customers than the OEM is AFTER the warranty is expired

wetsewerrat

Reaction score

I'm wondering if I shouldn't change out the
Quality braided lines will far out last factory lines. The factory mind set is based on planned obsolescence, a new vehicle every 4.5 -5 years or just out side of the warranty peroid. The after market is more about happy customers than the OEM is AFTER the warranty is expired

Where to get them though? And which adapters to put on the factory fittings to make them work?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I replaced my factory lines (which were leaking) at around 220K on my 96, my 97 with 165k still has the original lines, my 96 and 02 vans with over 255k and 205k still have the original lines but do have a little bit of seep--not enough to motivate me to change them.

Bought my 91 K2500 with 10k, sold it at 285k, the lines were probably seeping but don't recall an outright leak.

I've owned GMT400's continuously for the past 27 years, oil cooler lines on these trucks are not a weak link in my experience. Indeed they are one of the items that need tended to maybe a couple times in the lifespan of the truck--if we use quality lines. I don't see braided lines lasting any longer. The interior of the rubber/synthetic braided hose will likely begin to deteriorate over time and/or the hose to connection joint will begin to leak. Deterioration of the inside of the hose is not something we would notice until we cut the hose apart and look for it.

Reaction score
i agree , my 98 has original lines , i had a gasket seap at oil filter adapter so i bought dealer kit for 5.00 and new line adapters for 13.00 each, and at 206,000 mile still going strong with no leaks, no not a weak link in engine

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
I have owned one of these trucks since I bought it new in August of 1988. I just got rid of it 3 months ago. The salt finally did it in. Not bad for 32 years. It had over 250,000 miles on it and I changed the cooler lines 3 times because they where leaking. I changed ALL of the rubber lines on it about every 4 years ,the same with tires.

My '90 got a frame up about 10 years ago and it lost a cooler hose in the dead of winter when it was 20 degrees out and pumped all of the oil out in under 30 seconds. I got lucky and was able to shut it down in the driveway, but I had to lay under the truck in a snow storm at 2:00 in the morning to change it.

My '98 Suburban had over 250,000 miles on it when I bought it and the lines where leaking. One of the first repairs was to replace the cooler lines.

I have replaced more of these lines AND the quick connect fittings than I care to remember when I was a GM service tech. I guess my point is just because you can or have run them for a couple hundred thousand miles does not mean they are not going to fail, when they do fail it can cause major engine damage especially if it happens at highway speeds.

The after market braided hoses are made from much higher quality materials that are designed to resist heat and pressure with thicker walls and reinforcing braiding. Also the fittings are machined from much thicker metal and the have both internal and external threads to prevent failure at the fittings.

If you are happy running a rubber hose that is seeping go for it,it is your truck but don't think for one minute that the "factory" hoses come any where near the quality of a after market braided hose.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF you're going to replace OEM plumbing with aftermarket plumbing, at least pay attention to the inside diameter used by GM.

The threads I've seen where guys replace "factory" plumbing with aftermarket, the hose and fittings they choose are too damn small.

They're using "Dash 6", 6/16, or 3/8 hose where GM was using 1/2" ID plumbing.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
IF you're going to replace OEM plumbing with aftermarket plumbing, at least pay attention to the inside diameter used by GM.

The threads I've seen where guys replace "factory" plumbing with aftermarket, the hose and fittings they choose are too damn small.

They're using "Dash 6", 6/16, or 3/8 hose where GM was using 1/2" ID plumbing.

That is not necessarily true. On '88- '95 trucks the external thread diameter of the QC fitting at oil filter adapter is approximately .652 and the internal diameter is .360 which is slightly above 3/8 of an inch At the radiator end the fitting that screws into the radiator has an external thread diameter of approximately .510 which is just over 1/2 of an inch and the internal diameter is .310. which is under 3/8 of an inch. The aluminum tubing that is crimped to the rubber hose has an external diameter of .488 (which is under 1/2 of an inch) and has an internal diameter of .365 an that is under 3/8 of an inch . So, -6 hose is completely satisfactory to use for replacement.

I do not currently have a spare set of lines and fittings for a '96- '99 to measure but as soon as I restock I will measure them and post the dimensions.