98 k1500 Oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my '97 K2500, the steel tube crimped to the hose fit beautifully inside a brass ferrule intended for 1/2" tubing. My oil cooler hose was seized to the old radiator, I cut the metal part to get it to unscrew. Then spliced it back together with a brass compression union.

The actual fluid path is almost always smaller than the nominal tube or hose size, because tubing is measured by OD, so when you subtract the tubing wall thickness, the ID (fluid path) must be smaller than the nominal size.

Wall thickness varies. Thick-wall "1/2"" tubing will have a smaller ID than thin-wall tubing. Hose--usually, not always--is also smaller inside than the nominal size, just as tubing is.

Easy enough to verify--If a 1/2" open-end wrench fits nicely on the metal tubing of the oil cooler hose, you need "dash 8" or 1/2" plumbing. If that 1/2" wrench is loose, you might be dealing with 7/16 or 3/8 plumbing. Try a 7/16 or 3/8 wrench instead.

Perhaps this is a matter of GM using steel, 1/2" tube on the hose assembly, and the aftermarket is using smaller, aluminum tubing.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my '97 K2500, the steel tube crimped to the hose fit beautifully inside a brass ferrule intended for 1/2" tubing. My oil cooler hose was seized to the old radiator, I cut the metal part to get it to unscrew. Then spliced it back together with a brass compression union.

The actual fluid path is almost always smaller than the nominal tube or hose size, because tubing is measured by OD, so when you subtract the tubing wall thickness, the ID (fluid path) must be smaller than the nominal size.

Wall thickness varies. Thick-wall "1/2"" tubing will have a smaller ID than thin-wall tubing. Hose--usually, not always--is also smaller inside than the nominal size, just as tubing is.

Easy enough to verify--If a 1/2" open-end wrench fits nicely on the metal tubing of the oil cooler hose, you need "dash 8" or 1/2" plumbing. If that 1/2" wrench is loose, you might be dealing with 7/16 or 3/8 plumbing. Try a 7/16 or 3/8 wrench instead.

Perhaps this is a matter of GM using steel, 1/2" tube on the hose assembly, and the aftermarket is using smaller, aluminum tubing.

I put new hoses on mine recently not because they were leaking but they went on when the new engine went in along with a new radiator. Mine had bearing material contamination. My lines have always been aluminum with quick connects on both ends. They were the stock ones from 97. I had to change the quick connects a few years ago as they had started seeping. I actually had the hoses replaced on new lines with hydraulic hose. Rated for far more pressure and heat. My neighbor at my shop is a hydraulic guy and owns a hydraulic business.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine had steel/rubber hoses. Radiator end is o-ring seal, with typical flare-nut.

I was using a 20mm flare-nut wrench, but it's probably 13/16. The 20mm fit tighter on an already-damaged flare nut.

'97 K2500, 7.4L, 4L80E.