'97 Vortec camshaft options for carb conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like my user says, its a '97 C1500 'Burb manufactured in Mexico. Has the fuel pump block off plate on it. Ive read on multiple forums that these early Vortecs (96 & 97) that the stock cam does not have a fuel pump lobe. Just to be ready for my carbureted conversion in the near future, what aftermarket cam can be used that has a lobe for mech fuel pump? I would rather not use an electric. :mexsmoke::greenchainsaw:

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I`m not sure about these vortec 350s in particular, as I`m a TBI guy. I know that on our older Pontiac engine (I know it wont be the same but might give you an idea) that there is an eccentric that bolts onto the end of the camshaft. This eccentric is round but is bolted on offset so it makes an egg shaped pattern allowing it to push on the mechanical fuel pump arm. I`m not sure about an extra lobe ground into the cam just for the fuel pump, but I know for sure that there have been the eccentrics on the front of the cams beneath the timing cover to allow the mechanical pump to operate.