97 Silverado 5.7 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shnert

Reaction score
so far no coolant in the oil, im using mostly water at this point because i have to add so much. That's on the list for sure.... I burped out the system both idling and not running and there was definitely air in it. No change in drivability though.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
so far no coolant in the oil, im using mostly water at this point because i have to add so much. That's on the list for sure.... I burped out the system both idling and not running and there was definitely air in it. No change in drivability though.

It very well be a bad temp sensor. When it bounces around like that it messes with the computer and it does crazy **** to your fuel ratios.

Sent from my infected Android using tapatalk.

Shnert

Reaction score
The gauge doesn't really bounce around, just rises too high then sticks under what should be the operating temp(have a 190 termo. in it) I'll try a new temp gauge, they are easy and cheap, thanks

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
The gauge doesn't really bounce around, just rises too high then sticks under what should be the operating temp(have a 190 termo. in it) I'll try a new temp gauge, they are easy and cheap, thanks

Don't get a gauge, get the coolant temp sensor.

Sent from my infected Android using tapatalk.

Shnert

Reaction score
Update: i changed out the coolent temp gauge, took out the throttle body and cleaned it, and cleaned the maf. It runs a lot better now, but it still has a slight hesitation off idle like 20% of the time and bucks in overdrive, but only bellow 45 and at half throttle. any ideas? Sometimes it will also run super rough on a cold start, then smooth out

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be a sticking poppet valve in the spider, so you may try some Seafoam or other fuel system cleaner and see if it helps. Run at higher than normal concentrations, it can do wonders for fuel injectors with sticky/clogged pintles and the poppets on the vortec fuel spider. I would also pull the cap and check the terminals for corrosion. The vortec engines are very, very sensitive to corrosion on the cap and rotor terminals, and have a tendency to misfire with the least hint of aluminum oxide. They are also known to get internal cracks between the conductive strips and give a nasty misfire/crossfire.

Shnert

Reaction score
I have a quick question, when i replaced my pump, i didn't buy a while new unit, just the pump and strainer. Is there a reason for replacing the whole unit?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it isn't necessary unless the sending unit is faulty or the tubing is broken.