'97 K3500 7.4L Vortec Air Filter Restriction Indicator help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to locate a new air filter restriction indicator for my truck. The original is GM 15713008 which seems to be replaced by GM 15063809.
I can't seem to find it at the local places and the on line GM sites either say it is discontinued or unavailable.
The few that claim to have one have very high prices.

It's a low priority item but mine is non functional so I'd like to replace it.
Thanks for any insight on this.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had difficulty finding one of these when I was replacing the factory intake on my V6 truck as well. If you want new you'll probably just have to bite the bullet and pay for it. I can't remember if mine was the same part number but I got it from SLP Performance, I believe it was $50 or so. Looks like they're out of stock now.

GM Parts Direct seems to have your part number in stock. It's $45 including shipping but I doubt you'll find a new one any cheaper than that.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-indicator-15063809

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Price is probably going to be high! A couple GM sites said in stock until you try to add to the cart then you get the "discontinued"!
I'll keep searching!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I added it to the cart at GM Parts Direct, that's how I checked the shipping charge. Pretty sure they have them. I did everything except click the "Place Order" button.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's non functional due to being partially melted and cracked. How it got like that is anyone's guess.
The top, outer perimeter is deformed and cracked.
Just one of those OCD things you do when you get a new truck. Replace everything!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It's non functional due to being partially melted and cracked. How it got like that is anyone's guess.
The top, outer perimeter is deformed and cracked.
Just one of those OCD things you do when you get a new truck. Replace everything!

That sounds like a potential air leak. I can definetly understand wanting to replace it. I would grab one from a salvage yard as already suggested. It'll "work" fine. That's where I got a replacment MAF.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Open the air filter housing. Is the filter so dirty that stuff falls out when you drop it on the floor? If not, reinstall. I just saved you $50, and it's more accurate than that gauge.