97 Dually Front brakes locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I’m dealing with a brake problem on my 97 crew cab Dually. The front brakes lock up and are not releasing. I have replaced the booster, master cylinder, lines, rotors, calipers, and pads. I bled them and ran a vacuum as well. I have it sitting on custom 24” alcoas too. I will start it and put it into drive and normally it should roll but it does nothing… even in reverse too. But if I disconnect the battery and wait for over 5 minutes and hook back up it will roll and stop just fine but only for a few miles and then I will realize it’s locking cause of the way it feels and a speed wobble too. Once the brakes were smoking! I have tried disconnecting the abs with pulling the fuse yet it will still happen. I just don’t know where else to look. It’s frustrating which is why I’m seeking any advice or someone who might’ve had the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When you say "lines" do you mean the actual hard steel lines or the rubber hoses that go from the hard lines to the calipers? Cause I had a similar problem on the Burb several years ago, and it was these rubber hoses, collapsing internally. And it caught stuff on fire a couple times( thankfully we got it under control before it burnt up the Burb!).
The only other thing I can think of, is if the calipers have plastic pistons instead of steel ones. This used to happen to Ford and Mopar vehicles a lot when they first went to plastic pistons (for weight savings). The pistons swell up when they get hot, and lock everything up. I've seen F350 rotors, worn down into two pieces, from this problem. As far as I know, though, GM didn't use these on our trucks....
If you're pulling the fuse, that should take power away from the ABS unit?

Reaction score
I replaced the rubber hoses not the steel lines. It’s crazy though cause I’ll have the abs fuse out and disconnect the battery and after 5 minutes or so connect back up and the brakes release. This may sound like a dumb question but could a faulty brake switch be the culprit? I mean if I’m disconnecting the power then hooking back and it’s working for awhile then it’s possibly electrical but just don’t know what if the abs is inactive.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This truck would by Hydroboost.... I wonder if it's a return problem with the power steering pump? I've heard of guys having issues when swapping to hydroboost, but still trying to use the non-hydro pump. They'll T into the return line and it can't flow enough, which leads me to beleive that a dedicated line that's faulty (restricted) could also cause problems. I think there's also a potential issue with a wrong actuator rod, but I think that causes problems immediately.

Reaction score
I think my problem may be the hydroboost rod length. If it’s too long then it will cause the brakes to engage and not return. So I gotta drive into town where I stashed the truck and check that out. I’ll adjust that rod a few at a time and see where that takes me.

Reaction score
It’s both of the front wheels gradually locking up. As I stated I replaced the booster but I just found out that this booster rod cannot be adjusted! so my next assumption would be possibly the power steering pump? I’m at a loss so I’m searching

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It’s both of the front wheels gradually locking up. As I stated I replaced the booster but I just found out that this booster rod cannot be adjusted! so my next assumption would be possibly the power steering pump? I’m at a loss so I’m searching

Are both hoses collapsing?

Reaction score
I don’t think the hoses are collapsing… I really think that maybe the valve is stuck in the power steering pump or the abs pump is stuck. Regardless if I pull the fuse if the pump is stuck then it will not make a difference. I just bled the master to get it moving to a better location. It’s not doing anything yet but I know my rotors and pads are shot due to this dilemma